Announcements
We understand 2020 has been difficult and we're here to try and make it easier during tax time. Search posts, read articles or ask a question.

ATO Community

Re: Jobkeeper Casual employee

Highlighted

Community Manager

Replies 4

Hi @njhumphrey,

Thanks for your patience.  The Treasury frequently asked questions have some information on this topic.

They state that  in the example where a company takes over a new business;

the employers must assess whether their casual employees satisfy the test of working for 12 months on a regular and systemic basis. A casual may still meet this condition even if the entity operating the business has changed recently.

KylieS

Highlighted

Replies 0

Hello,

Just following up on this. What if a casual employee has been employed with the same employer as this example:

Regularly from April 2018 to July 2018

Regularly from June 2019 and still employed as of now (April 2020)

Does that mean the eligibiliy requirement for the casual employee? We have a few in this situation.

Thanks!

Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 2

As I had worked Permanent part time until December and Casually from December to current.

I work in early childhood and December/January/February which are extremely quiet months which shifts are very few and far between. I have worked a few shifts in those months.

Would the industry wide be taken into consideration when judging eligibility? As otherwise I would have worked more as I study full time.

When I looked up the regular and systematic engagement with the employer it said acceptance of shifts on a regular basis unless there are valid reasons why this would not occur. Would studying Full Time count or be taken into consideration for that area?
Highlighted

Community Manager

Replies 1

Hi @njhumphrey , We have answered you question on your other post.

Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 0

I replied thank you for the prompt replies
Highlighted

Replies 1

Hi,

What if the client is employeed by a company and he has his own which just making income.And now because of Corona his main work as employee is dropped, where he just started to get income from his own company can he elect to receive Job Keeper under his own company.

Highlighted

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @hanygeo

Thanks for joining the conversation.

Your client's company can claim the JobKeeper Payment for your client if their company meets the eligible business entities requirements and your client meets the eligible business participant requirements or the eligible employee requirements as outlined on our website. If all the relevant requirements aren't met, your client's company won't be able to claim the payment.

If your client is still permanently employed with their other employer, their company won't be able to claim the JobKeeper Payment for them as an eligible business participant because they won't meet all the requirements.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, ChrisR

Highlighted

Replies 1

Hi, i have an issue of about a casual employee worked for a compnay for few yeaers, but he only works 3-4 hours a week to cleanning the office and halll etc. but he is employee of the compnay and is for last few years. does he still able to get the $1500 jobkeeper payment?

the amount is much much more than his noraml wage. 

Highlighted

I'm new

Replies 0

Hi Marcoli, the casual employee in your example is eligible for the the full JobKeeper payment despite the amount being much more than his normal payment. However, in order to receive the JobKeeper payment, the employer also needs to be eligible which means the employer's income needs to have been materially affected by the Covid crisis (for most employers this means gross income needs to have been reduced by at least 30%) .

To put this another way, if the employer is eligible, the employer should arrange to get into the scheme and should offer this employee the option to receive the JobKeeper payments.

Highlighted

Replies 5

Is a casual employee eligible if they have been employed for over 12 months but did not work for 3 months during the year when they were not required?