Announcements
Read our answers to common questions about JobKeeper, Early release of super and Cash flow boost.

ATO Community

Jobkeeper Casual employee

Highlighted

Initiate

Views 9142

Replies 28

If a casual employee has been employed by their current employer for 4 months & has been stood down. But they were employed prior to their current employer casually for over 12 months & never unemployed are they going to be eligible for this payment ?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 23

@Danlip 

Thank you for your question regarding eligibility for payment of causal employees that have been employed for 4 months.

Treasury information pages states that a casual employee employed on a regular basis for longer that 12 months as at 1 March 2020 is eligible for Jobkeeper payment. As the casual employee has only been emlpoyed for 4 months they are not eligible for payment at this time.

Treasury has published some information on their website and an information page. We will also be keeping our Job Keeper news article up to date to assist you.

AngelaG

28 REPLIES 28
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 23

@Danlip 

Thank you for your question regarding eligibility for payment of causal employees that have been employed for 4 months.

Treasury information pages states that a casual employee employed on a regular basis for longer that 12 months as at 1 March 2020 is eligible for Jobkeeper payment. As the casual employee has only been emlpoyed for 4 months they are not eligible for payment at this time.

Treasury has published some information on their website and an information page. We will also be keeping our Job Keeper news article up to date to assist you.

AngelaG

Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 3

But they have been continently employed for over 12 months but just not the same employer
Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 2

Hi Danlip

The payment is based on the length of time the employee was with the employer who will be claiming the payment from the government, not how long the person has worked total in their life for multiple employers. Unfortunately this employee would not be able to get the JobKeeper payment as they were only with the current employer for 4 months and do not meet the criteria for this particular payment.

They may possibly be eligible for the JobSeeker payment, but they would have to look into that
Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 1

Thank you for your reply & I understand the criteria you are saying.
I’m sure I’m not the only person on this situation where as I have changed jobs to better my career over the last 4 months & now see myself not eligible to receive this relief. I am 20 & board to home so can’t get any other assists from the Government because I am classed as a dependent but classed as an adult with bills to pay & have no income to pay them. I don’t know where to go from here ?
Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 0

Hi Danlip

I'm really sorry that you're in this position.  It must be so frustrating and scary for you.  Maybe Youth Allowance might be the way to go (A means tested payment for young people 16-21 years of age, who are looking for full time work or undertaking approved activities)?

I've found this page which might be able to help with phone numbers and descriptions of payments https://www.dss.gov.au/about-the-department/benefits-payments/working-age-payments 

I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with Services Australia's offerings, just the JobSeeker and JobKeeper payments.  I really hope that you're ok and the government can help you, especially as this has been beyond your control.

Best of luck for your future. Stay safe.

Highlighted

Replies 0

Hi Angela

Thanks for the answer. How will the ATO deal with 'groups of companies'? For example PCYC. If someone has been a regular casual for 3 years for various PCYCs, would they qualify for Jobkeeper?

Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 7

Hi there,
In my case I have been employed as Part Time with my workplace from June 2012 to December 2019 I transitioned to Casual from December 2019 onwards. Would i qualify?
Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 6

I was understanding the ruling regarding the casual/12 month rule to apply to new casuals (to the company) which haven't held the position for more than 12 months, but as you have been employed by the same employer for several years, surely you would be entitled to it?  This may be something that your employer could look into on your behalf.

Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 5

That’s how I interpreted the JobKeeper payment. 12mths of employment with a specific employer....just trying to find out to be sure. I work for a large company and I’m SURE that the ATO would provide a response faster than they would