Announcements
We’re in read-only mode while we do some scheduled maintenance to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You can still search the site to find answers or take a look at our current top 10 questions.

ATO Community

Jobkeeper Dismissal

Views 847

Replies 4

Hi,
My question is in regards to employers ability to dismiss staff, even though I was on the JobKeeper payments.
My employer gave me my notice yesterday, as even with receiving the JobKeeper payment from the government they can no longer afford to keep me on.
I was under the impression & advised that an employer couldn’t dismiss staff if they were on JobKeeper. Is this correct & what can/should I do from here as it’s obviously not my choice to quit my job, if what I was advised is the case?
Thanks for your help!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 1

Hi Elee,

Sorry to hear about your work situation.

Employers can dismiss staff who are receiving JobKeeper. Your employer will no longer be able to claim JobKeeper payments for you.

You may find further information from the Fair Work Commission on how it can assist with JobKeeper disputes.

Kimo

4 REPLIES 4

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 1

Hi Elee,

Sorry to hear about your work situation.

Employers can dismiss staff who are receiving JobKeeper. Your employer will no longer be able to claim JobKeeper payments for you.

You may find further information from the Fair Work Commission on how it can assist with JobKeeper disputes.

Kimo

Replies 0

Thank you for your help Kimo

Devotee

Replies 1

Don't know where you heard you couldn't be dismissed if you are on JK. That is just totally wrong information. They can dismiss you even if you are on JK provided they follow the rules as set out by Fair Work (if you are unsure whether they followed the FW rules, you could ring Fair Work and speak to them, they are very helpful)

Whoever advised you needs to be responsible for their misinformation. If it was someone like a lawyer, you can make a complaint against them to the law society. Or if it was an accountant, you might be able to make a complaint against them to their professional body. You may be able to claim some sort of compensation (a "no win no fee" lawyer could maybe advise you on your chances ... google "no win no fee lawyer" in your state)

Sorry you are in this situation. All the best

Replies 0

Thank you for your help Katie, I will look into FW rules regarding my situation but I think I’ll find it’s all above board. Thanks again.