Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Re: Jobkeeper - Employer discretion over employed students?

Views 681

Replies 2

Hi all,

I hope you're doing well in these rather weird times.

My friend and I have both been employed as casuals on a regular and systematic basis at one company for more than 24 months now. We are both 17 and Australian citizens, and our boss has confirmed that the company has had a sufficient enough drop off in sales to qualify for the Jobkeeper payments. He has since sent out a post to the company detailing how this would work and everyone's new hours under these circumstances, however he made a point in this post that simply read, "Secondary school students will not receive the payment." When questioned about it, he claimed that he was told by the VECCI that he is free to exercise discretion over employees who are secondary school students.

This was rather surprising to us, as to the best of our knowledge there is zero documentation from the ATO supporting such a thing, rather many points detailing the "one in all in" approach where an employer must sign up all eligible employees and pass on the full $1500 per fortnight. There is also this document on the VECCI's own website detailing the fact that employers are not able to exercise discretion over which employees do and do not receive the payments (Subheading 1.3.10).

I'm simply checking whether or not we've missed some key bit of documentation or legislation here, as we both feel as though we are missing out on a payment that we are 100% eligible for and that he is entitled to sign us up for. Please point me towards anything that I've missed that would prove him correct, or otherwise any bits of advice on how to handle this would be very much so appreciated.

Thanking you in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 1

I don't think you've missed anything. I feel like you are right.
VECCI could not over rule federal legislation.
2 REPLIES 2

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 1

I don't think you've missed anything. I feel like you are right.
VECCI could not over rule federal legislation.

Replies 0

That has been the exact thought of both myself and my mate, along with his parents, their accountant and multiple other forums. We're roping in the "big guns" and getting our parents into it now as we clearly don't have enough authority for him to listen to us in a serious manner.

I find it quite puzzling, as it doesn't cost him anything to follow this legislation (other than in the very short term before it is paid in arrears), but it could cost him a decent bit if he was found to be screwing us over.