Announcements
Looking for answers? Search our popular topics or ask a new question.

ATO Community

Jobkeeper / Job keeper

Highlighted

Initiate

Views 743

Replies 1

Hi all,

I have some very important questions that I need know, relating to the Jobseeker payments. I have expressed my interest with ATO.

Questions:

1) I have an ABN (Soul trader) and have been driving for Uber on and off since May last year. In my City, Wagga Wagga NSW. Currently in Wagga, Uber is basically not operating. So my income is nil. Obviously my income is down by minimum 30% Actually down by 100%, but because I was not driving Uber 12 months ago, and can not compare my decrease in earnings as of 12 months ago, does that mean I am straight up not eligible for the JobKeeper payments?

2) I’m currently stuck in The Philippines, my current City here is in strict lockdown (Can not leave) as also is Manila, where I would have to fly out of when I am able to return to Australia. So I’m double stuck! My question is, IF I am eligible to receive the Jobkeeper payment, can I receive the payment while overseas?

Sorry for my long post, but I’m quite concerned for my well-being been stuck over here and my funds nearly empty! I would appreciate any advice.

TIA,
Alex.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @alexwaddell,

Thanks for your queries! And the long question is no problem.

We understand that there is a lot of information out there regarding Job Keeper at the moment and it can be difficult and confusing. 

In regards to your questions:

1. We are working off the current eligibility criteria, and at the moment the employer fact sheet does state that for self-employed individuals they would indeed need to show a year-to-year loss of income.

However, it also states that where a business has not been in operation for 12 months, the Tax Commissioner will have discretion to consider additional information that can establish that they have been significantly impacted by the effects of the coronavirus on their business.

At this time you can still register your interest and gather that additional information that can show that since you began operating as a sole trader you’ve experienced a loss of income.

2. While the current fact sheets do not specifically address Australian workers who are currently stuck overseas, in Treasury’s latest FAQ sheet, a good reference point would be the answer to ‘I was working in Australia on 1 March. I have been stood down, and returned to my home country. Am I eligible?’, which is that ‘You may be eligible to receive the payment if you are an Australian citizen, the holder of a permanent visa, or a Special Category (Subclass 444) Visa Holder who has temporarily left the country.’

I’d suggest reviewing this answer and noting down how it might apply to you in your current situation.

I am very sorry to hear of your current circumstances and hope this information can help you prepare for support at this time. 

The information I’ve provided relates to Job Keeper, which the ATO is taking carriage of, if Job Seeker (a payment scheme organised by Services Australia) is more relevant to you, I’d encourage to assess your eligibility at this link.

Unfortunately we are unable to comment further as the Job Keeper legislation is still being discussed in Parliament. As soon as the legislation passes, we will be able to provide further information.  

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @alexwaddell,

Thanks for your queries! And the long question is no problem.

We understand that there is a lot of information out there regarding Job Keeper at the moment and it can be difficult and confusing. 

In regards to your questions:

1. We are working off the current eligibility criteria, and at the moment the employer fact sheet does state that for self-employed individuals they would indeed need to show a year-to-year loss of income.

However, it also states that where a business has not been in operation for 12 months, the Tax Commissioner will have discretion to consider additional information that can establish that they have been significantly impacted by the effects of the coronavirus on their business.

At this time you can still register your interest and gather that additional information that can show that since you began operating as a sole trader you’ve experienced a loss of income.

2. While the current fact sheets do not specifically address Australian workers who are currently stuck overseas, in Treasury’s latest FAQ sheet, a good reference point would be the answer to ‘I was working in Australia on 1 March. I have been stood down, and returned to my home country. Am I eligible?’, which is that ‘You may be eligible to receive the payment if you are an Australian citizen, the holder of a permanent visa, or a Special Category (Subclass 444) Visa Holder who has temporarily left the country.’

I’d suggest reviewing this answer and noting down how it might apply to you in your current situation.

I am very sorry to hear of your current circumstances and hope this information can help you prepare for support at this time. 

The information I’ve provided relates to Job Keeper, which the ATO is taking carriage of, if Job Seeker (a payment scheme organised by Services Australia) is more relevant to you, I’d encourage to assess your eligibility at this link.

Unfortunately we are unable to comment further as the Job Keeper legislation is still being discussed in Parliament. As soon as the legislation passes, we will be able to provide further information.