Announcements
We understand 2020 has been difficult and we're here to try and make it easier during tax time. Search posts, read articles or ask a question.

ATO Community

Jobkeeper Payments Eligibility

Highlighted

Views 106

Replies 1

In the beginning of the whole jobkeeper system, I was eligible for the full payment. I have friends aged 17 and younger as well who are receiving fortnightly payments from the government who are still dependent and are full time students.

I just wanted to know whether although I live under the same roof as my parents, a full time year 12 student but is financially independent in terms of paying my own school bills, equipment, transportation, electronics as well as helping out with the bills at home such as water, etc. Would this not be counted as ‘independent’?

Recently both my parents had been given reduced hours and have both have been applied by their employers for jobkeeper but was both turned down. With their fortnightly salary being cut down to almost half, our bills at home are also behind as we aren’t getting enough to cover all necessities needed as they are also paying off loans.

Due to circumstances, my employer did not apply for us in the beginning and waited till the latter part. I would’ve hoped to have been considered ‘independent’ or if not would at least be eligible for it in full as it would help out my whole family in desperate times of need.

I’ve got a form to hand in later this week and I have ticked the part A but not part B as I needed an input on whether I could be eligible for it too since both my parents aren’t.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Dynamo

Replies 0

The terms independent and undertaking full-time study are taken from the Social Security Act 1991 (Cth). Typically to qualify as ‘Independent’ one of the following would describe the junior:

• have supported themselves through work with long term full or part-time employment broadly for a two year period;
  • are, or have been, married or are in a registered relationship;
  • have lived in a de facto relationship as a member of a couple for at least 12 months;
  • have, or have had, a dependent child;
  • are a job seeker assessed as unable to work over 30 hours a week;
  • are unable to live at home due to extreme circumstances;
  • have parents that are unable to support them;
  • are a refugee and their parents do not live in Australia;
  • are an orphan that has not been legally adopted; or
  • are in state care, including foster care.
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

Dynamo

Replies 0

The terms independent and undertaking full-time study are taken from the Social Security Act 1991 (Cth). Typically to qualify as ‘Independent’ one of the following would describe the junior:

• have supported themselves through work with long term full or part-time employment broadly for a two year period;
  • are, or have been, married or are in a registered relationship;
  • have lived in a de facto relationship as a member of a couple for at least 12 months;
  • have, or have had, a dependent child;
  • are a job seeker assessed as unable to work over 30 hours a week;
  • are unable to live at home due to extreme circumstances;
  • have parents that are unable to support them;
  • are a refugee and their parents do not live in Australia;
  • are an orphan that has not been legally adopted; or
  • are in state care, including foster care.