Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Jobkeeper, Sole Trader (no employees, no BAS, no business portal), Step 3 Question?

Initiate

Views 1644

Replies 4

Hi there,
I’m a sole trader with no employees. I work for myself as a driving instructor. My business has ceased due to COVID-19.

I applied for the job keeper payment & I’m confused as to what I do next?

Step 2 doesn’t seem to apply to me ( Identify and maintain your eligible employees) would that be correct?

Now for Step 3 (Make a business monthly declaration). I don’t pay GST as I just fall under the $75K threshold, therefore I cannot submit BAS. It says log in to the business portal which I don’t have. Do I need to download this? Is this where I will submit my monthly earnings?

How do I submit my monthly earnings exactly??

Please help.
Thank you so much!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @gmfreeek 

Essentially, if you have no employees, then at step 2, you leave these fields as '0'.  With your questions regarding step 3, you can log in to ATO online services via myGov to provide your current and projected GST turnover.

We have a guide on how to enrol for JobKeeper for sole traders that should help you with all your questions.

Hopefully this helps.

4 REPLIES 4

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @gmfreeek 

Essentially, if you have no employees, then at step 2, you leave these fields as '0'.  With your questions regarding step 3, you can log in to ATO online services via myGov to provide your current and projected GST turnover.

We have a guide on how to enrol for JobKeeper for sole traders that should help you with all your questions.

Hopefully this helps.

Initiate

Replies 0

Hi @RobynS This doesn't really answer the question asked though.  @gmfreeek doesn't have any GST turnover as he's not registered for GST (I'm not either).  We need to know how we can show a 30% or more decline in earnings if we don't collect GST.  Any help would be apprecited.

Replies 0

I am in the same situation, not registered for GST as not required. Do I just enter $0 for gst turnover april and May?

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @JanetS and @Thao049,

Thank you for reaching out to us and apologies for the delay. The JobKeeper Guide - Sole Traders has been last updated 03/05. Please avail yourselves to it for assistance when completing your registration. It has step by step instructions and explains how to complete it.

There is also a webpage called Top Calls for COVID19 you may view extra information there. 

Hope this helps.

Regards,

JodieR.