ATO Community

Jobkeeper alternative test

Views 1028

Replies 4

My restaurant has expanded in double size on Feb 2020. Since the PM announced the restaurant can only open for takeaway, the turnover for Mar 2020 has decreased more than 30% compare to the Feb 2020. The turnover test period for Mar2020 compare to Mar 2019 is not a true reflection because we restructured the shop. We have put employees on annual leave. I just wondering we are eligibility for the JobKeeper payments or not.
 Or can I use the turnover alternative test with Mar 2020 period compare to Feb 2020
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Dynamo

Replies 1

You may meet the substantial increase in turnover alternative test (50%, 25%, 12.5% increase in 12, 6, and 3 months respectively) which would then allow you to compare March 2020 with the average of December 2019 to Febuary 2020, or projected April 2020 with January to March 2020 turnover to determine a 30% drop.

4 REPLIES 4

Enthusiast

Replies 0

I believe you can only compare Feb 2020 to Mar 2020  if the entity commenced business after the relevant comparison period (the business did not exist in that period). In your case, as your business was open 12 months ago, you would not be able to compare Feb 2020 to Mar 2020.

Most helpful response

Dynamo

Replies 1

You may meet the substantial increase in turnover alternative test (50%, 25%, 12.5% increase in 12, 6, and 3 months respectively) which would then allow you to compare March 2020 with the average of December 2019 to Febuary 2020, or projected April 2020 with January to March 2020 turnover to determine a 30% drop.

Replies 0

Thank you. Do you think expanding shop is restructure?

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @JolieJulie

Sorry for the delayed response, it can be frustrating so I hope this information helps.

In regards to the turnover test, you can satisfy the fall in turnover test in two ways:

• The basic test based on GST turnover
  • The alternative test for a specific circumstances. For example where businesses didn’t exist in the comparison period or where businesses were affected by a natural disaster in the comparison period.

You only need to work this out once – you don't need to retest turnover each month. However, you’ll  will be asked each month to tell us your  current and projected turnover.

Find out about:

A businesses can qualify for JobKeeper payments after April, if your business experiences a downturn in the future.  

If you do not satisfy the turnover test for the current month or quarter, you can still assess your eligibility at a later date. To qualify later, the turnover month can be May, June, July, August or September 2020, provided the fortnight you are qualifying for has ended that month or an earlier month. If the turnover for a quarter is being used, it can be the quarter:

• from 1 April 2020 to 30 June 2020
  • from 1 July 2020 to 30 September 2020, but only if first seeking to qualify for fortnights ending in July 2020 or later.

Once you satisfy the decline in turnover test, you do not need to retest again.

I hope this information helps you and you remain well during this time.

MariR