Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Re: Jobkeeper and a new second job

Views 1979

Replies 3

I have been stood down and am on Jobkeeper with my usual employer, with every intention to return to fulltime work when our industry is reopened. In the meantime I have been offered some casual labouring work where the employer has given the option of sub-contracting under my own ABN or casual employment. How am I to treat this from a tax point of view? If I am paid under an ABN will that effect my JobKeeper payments, or am i better going on as a casual? Can I do this with multuple new employers?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @whatthe.,

Thanks for reaching out to ATO Community.

You are able to commence another job so long as you maintain your employment with your current employer who is providing you with the JobKeeper payment. Here's an extract from our knowledge base article: 

Can I earn income from another job while receiving JobKeeper?

You can earn additional income without your JobKeeper payments being affected as long as you maintain your employment (including being stood down) with your JobKeeper-eligible employer.

For additional information regarding the JobKeeper payment please check out the ATO's JobKeeper section.  Additionally, Treasury has provided some handy fact sheets which may be able to assist. 

You can find information on Income from more than one job on our website.

All the best and I hope this helps.

3 REPLIES 3

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @whatthe.,

Thanks for reaching out to ATO Community.

You are able to commence another job so long as you maintain your employment with your current employer who is providing you with the JobKeeper payment. Here's an extract from our knowledge base article: 

You can earn additional income without your JobKeeper payments being affected as long as you maintain your employment (including being stood down) with your JobKeeper-eligible employer.

For additional information regarding the JobKeeper payment please check out the ATO's JobKeeper section.  Additionally, Treasury has provided some handy fact sheets which may be able to assist. 

You can find information on Income from more than one job on our website.

All the best and I hope this helps.

Former Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @whatthe,

Thanks for reaching out.

You can view the JobKeeper payment information on our website.

I hope this helps.

Replies 0

Yes I understand that but I thought I had read that one couldn’t be self-employed in addition to JobKeeper. This is my question - can I get an ABN and work as a sub-contractor effectively self employed for tax purposes whilst receiving JK from my original employer?
Second question is how do I treat tax in this case as well?