Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Jobkeeper and paid parental leave

Views 748

Replies 3

Hello,
I am currently receiving the jobkeeper financial help and I am pregnant (due in November). My company (hospitality industry) will definitely be eligible again for the jobkeeper extension from end of September.
I’ve been told that I should be able to continue receiving the jobkeeper until it runs out at the end of March 2021 (being on unpaid leave) and then take the 18 weeks government paid parental leave.
Can you please confirm that this information is correct so I could discuss it with my employer? Thanks in advance for your help.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Community Moderator

Replies 1

Hi @EloBo

Thanks for reaching out to us.

For information about the government's JobKeeper extension, have a look at the Treasury website.

If you meet the current eligible employee requirements as outlined on our website, your eligible employer can claim JobKeeper for you while you are on unpaid leave. You won't be eligible in any JobKeeper fortnight where you receive a government parental leave payment.

Whether you can delay getting government parental leave payments until the end of March 2021 is a question that you will need to ask Services Australia. For more information about Parental Leave Pay, go to their website.

All the best.

3 REPLIES 3

Most helpful response

Community Moderator

Replies 1

Hi @EloBo

Thanks for reaching out to us.

For information about the government's JobKeeper extension, have a look at the Treasury website.

If you meet the current eligible employee requirements as outlined on our website, your eligible employer can claim JobKeeper for you while you are on unpaid leave. You won't be eligible in any JobKeeper fortnight where you receive a government parental leave payment.

Whether you can delay getting government parental leave payments until the end of March 2021 is a question that you will need to ask Services Australia. For more information about Parental Leave Pay, go to their website.

All the best.

Replies 0

Hello, 

I am in the same situation (due in November) and currently receiving jobkeeper. Wanting to start my unpaid maternity leave in October and not receive paid parental leave from Services Australia until April 2021. 

I was a full time employee for 3 years. However, since March 2020, my hours have been reduced to part time hours.

Would I still be eliglible for jobkeeper extension from October 2020 to Mar 2021? Would I receive the full time payment or part time payment? (given my employer is still eliglible, which i believe they will be and the proposed changes have been passed)

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @LizS1

According to Fair Work you can be on authorised leave and still qualify for JobKeeper as long as you're an eligible employee of an eligible employer under the JobKeeper rules. Take a look at the information we have about  payment rates to work out your entitlements.

Ari