Announcements
Have you sold crypto, shares or property? Our new capital gains tax guide has info about cost bases, calculations & more! Still got questions? Ask the Community!

ATO Community

Jobkeeper and rehiring an employee who resigned

Views 2507

Replies 3

I have an employee who was fulltime and working at 1st march. During the proceeding pandemic period this employee decided to resign. They have now requested to be rehired, again, full time. Am I eligible to claim jobkeeper for him in light of his break from work? I am already receiving jobkeeper for other employees.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @Sjt81,

The good news is yes, you are able to claim JobKeeper for this employee. As you will see outlined in the Employees who have been terminated  section of our website, if you terminated an employee after 1 March 2020, you can re-engage them and they will be eligible if they met the eligibility criteria on 1 March 2020.

You will need to complete a few tasks to get them back on the system but again, you will find that information in the link above.  Please be aware that you will only be paid a JobKeeper payment for employees from the fortnight they were re-engaged. You cannot claim retrospectively for employees you re-engage.

AlBar

3 REPLIES 3

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @Sjt81,

The good news is yes, you are able to claim JobKeeper for this employee. As you will see outlined in the Employees who have been terminated  section of our website, if you terminated an employee after 1 March 2020, you can re-engage them and they will be eligible if they met the eligibility criteria on 1 March 2020.

You will need to complete a few tasks to get them back on the system but again, you will find that information in the link above.  Please be aware that you will only be paid a JobKeeper payment for employees from the fortnight they were re-engaged. You cannot claim retrospectively for employees you re-engage.

AlBar

Replies 1

HI, i am a little confused.  If the employee resigned then wanted to be re-employed after two months they shouldnt get jobkeeper.  I thought its only if the emplyee was terminated by the employer they could be re-employed and claim jobkeeper. Can you clarify this as I have an ex employee who resigned in April to work elsewhere but it didnt work out so he is back working for us again. I would not have thought he was eligible for JobKeeper

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi @JHeffernan

Thanks for joining the conversation.

As long as the returning employee meets all the eligible employee requirements as outlined on our website, you can claim the JobKeeper Payment for them. The first requirement is that are employed by you (including those stood down or re-hired).

If you have another look at the employees who've been terminated information, you will see that if you terminated an employee after 1 March 2020, you can re-engage them, and they'll be eligible if they met the eligibility criteria on 1 March 2020.

Termination of employment can occur for a number of reasons. It could be due to an employee retiring, voluntarily ceasing employment with an employer, an employer dismissing an employee or by mutual agreement. You can read our definition of termination of employment on our website.

Hope this helps.