Announcements
We understand 2020 has been difficult and we're here to try and make it easier during tax time. Search posts, read articles or ask a question.

ATO Community

Re: Jobkeeper and revenue for sole trader

Highlighted

Views 101

Replies 1

Hello,

I am a sole trader (artist) and my income has declined significantly due to COVID-19.

I have already registered and lodged for April, where my turnover for 2020 was reduced to $0. Separate from the ATO support scheme, I have applied and been successful in being awarded a small, one-off local government grant to partially compensate for lost bookings/turnover. I expect to receive this grant in my account in May or June, and have therefore included it in my projected turnover for May.

Given it isn't 'normal' turnover, and was a one-off, was I right to include it for May? And should I include it when lodging for May, assuming it's received?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hi @Millie_88,

Thank you for reaching out to us - I am sorry to hear about your decline in income.

The basic turnover test information on our website describes which payments to include, and which to exclude. You can review these here.

When it comes to your lodgment, you'll need to consider the GST treatment of the grant, you can review more information on that subject on our website.

I hope this information helps.

JoshuaW

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hi @Millie_88,

Thank you for reaching out to us - I am sorry to hear about your decline in income.

The basic turnover test information on our website describes which payments to include, and which to exclude. You can review these here.

When it comes to your lodgment, you'll need to consider the GST treatment of the grant, you can review more information on that subject on our website.

I hope this information helps.

JoshuaW