Announcements
Looking for answers? Search our popular topics or ask a new question.

ATO Community

Jobkeeper eligibility if self employed with a permanent part time job elsewhere

Highlighted

Views 938

Replies 3

I am self employed (Director but only pay myself a small fortnightly wage through my company, trust set up) and I have a permanent part time job elsewhere (where I currently claim the tax free threshold). My company has had it's income reduced by about 90% and fits all other eligibility requirements. My part time job has had a pay cut of 45% but my employer will not meet the 30% downturn requirement! Can I claim the jobkeeper through my company as an employee? I only have short term casual employees other than myself. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 2

Good morning @MKB12 

Thank you for contacting us.

No, you can't recieve JobKeeper for your company as you are employed as a permanent part time employee of another entity. You can read further information on the Sole traders and other entities on our website.

You may be eligible to register for your casual employees as long as they meet the eligible criteria requirements.

Thank you,

AngelaG

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 2

Good morning @MKB12 

Thank you for contacting us.

No, you can't recieve JobKeeper for your company as you are employed as a permanent part time employee of another entity. You can read further information on the Sole traders and other entities on our website.

You may be eligible to register for your casual employees as long as they meet the eligible criteria requirements.

Thank you,

AngelaG

Highlighted

Replies 1

Hi Angela,

Thanks so much for replying. I am aware that I can't claim it for my company as I have seen that my part time job excludes me (although no idea of why this loophole exists as it does not assist my compnay at all). I was asking if I can claim it personally as an employee of my company? I am a part time employee of my own company also and I would only be claiming it once as my other employer does not qualify. I am currently sitting below miniumum wage and have a company accruing more debt everyday, and yet don't receive jobkeeper assistance?? 

Highlighted

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @MKB12,

Thank you for your patience while we looked into this for you.

Businesses in the form of a company, trust or partnership can also qualify for JobKeeper payments where a business owner (a shareholder, adult beneficiary or partner) is actively engaged in the business, or a director is actively engaged in the business.

This is limited to one entitlement for each entity even if there are multiple business owners or participants. An eligible business participant cannot be an employee (other than a casual employee) of another entity.

If a sole trader is both a long-term casual employee of another business and also an eligible sole trader, they can choose to either let their employer claim the JobKeeper payments on their behalf, or they can claim as a sole trader, but not both.

You can work out your eligibility or find more information about Eligible employers on our website.

While the ATO administers the law, it does not create it. For more information in regards to any issues around your obligations Fair work Australia  website or contact Fair Work Australia directly.

I hope this information is helpful and you all remain well during this time.

MariR