Announcements
We understand 2020 has been difficult and we're here to try and make it easier during tax time. Search posts, read articles or ask a question.

ATO Community

Jobkeeper for Sole Trader who has found part time employment

Highlighted

Initiate

Views 438

Replies 12

As a sole trader who has lost 100% income due to client lockdown measures I have applied for Jobkeeper.

As a means to find new income I have sought other employment, which could be a permanent part-time role with limited hours - significantly less than my projected business income. Before I accept a role with very little income I wanted to confirm how this could affect my potential Jobkeeper payment.

Am I still eligible for Jobkeeper should I find myself employed elsewhere under my own TFN with minimal hours and income to stay afloat?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 7

Hi @Katie_D and @bass1234 

Thanks for contacting ATO Community.

For the JobKeeper payments; as as sole trader, you need to be an eligible business participant and meet the other relevant eligibility requirements.

However, to receive JobKeeper payments as a sole trader, an eligible business participant cannot be an employee of another entity, other than a casual employee. (We have information on our wesite that can help you: Sole traders, partners, trust beneficiaries, shareholders and directors)

If a sole trader is both a long-term casual employee of another business and also an eligible sole trader, they can choose to either let their employer claim the JobKeeper payments on their behalf, or they can claim as a sole trader, but not both.

You can check if your business meets the eligibility requirements on our website. 

I hope this information clarifies things for you and you remain well during this time.

MariR

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted

Community Support

Replies 3

Hi @Katie_D,

Thanks for reaching out.

If you’re a Sole Trader, you need to be an eligible entity and have an eligible business participant to be eligible for JobKeeper. See the Eligibility requirements for sole traders information on our website. You can enrol for the JobKeeper payment by logging into ATO online services via myGov or in the Business Portal using myGovID. We have a guide on how to enrol for JobKeeper for sole traders.

Only one claim for JobKeeper can be made per person.

If you’re a long-term casual employee of another business and an eligible sole trader, you can choose who you claim JobKeeper through. If you’re a permanent employee of another business you can’t claim JobKeeper as a sole trader. See Eligibility for employees.

I hope this helps.

Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 0

Sorry Alyce,

I'm confused. Does this mean if I am currently eligible to claim Jobkeeper $1500 fortnight payments, I cannot seek alternative means of income or employment separate to my business - even for minimal income?

Can you please clarify?

Thanks

Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 0

Am I not allowed to find new employment as a sole trader?

@Alyce wrote:

Hi @Katie_D,

Thanks for reaching out.

If you’re a Sole Trader, you need to be an eligible entity and have an eligible business participant to be eligible for JobKeeper. See the Eligibility requirements for sole traders information on our website. You can enrol for the JobKeeper payment by logging into ATO online services via myGov or in the Business Portal using myGovID. We have a guide on how to enrol for JobKeeper for sole traders.

Only one claim for JobKeeper can be made per person.

If you’re a long-term casual employee of another business and an eligible sole trader, you can choose who you claim JobKeeper through. If you’re a permanent employee of another business you can’t claim JobKeeper as a sole trader. See Eligibility for employees.

I hope this helps.

Highlighted

Enthusiast

Replies 0

Hi Alyce,
Yes, it would be good to get some clarity around this. Is it only if you are considered a PERMANENT employee of the other entity that your eligibility for Jobkeeper as a sole trader is no longer valid? I understand for casuals, it doesn’t affect eligibility, but what about short fixed term contracts?
Also, if the employment opportunity came about AFTER being eligible as a sole trader for the first month, do we suddenly become ineligible for subsequent months, because we might have taken minimal work opportunities elsewhere?
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 7

Hi @Katie_D and @bass1234 

Thanks for contacting ATO Community.

For the JobKeeper payments; as as sole trader, you need to be an eligible business participant and meet the other relevant eligibility requirements.

However, to receive JobKeeper payments as a sole trader, an eligible business participant cannot be an employee of another entity, other than a casual employee. (We have information on our wesite that can help you: Sole traders, partners, trust beneficiaries, shareholders and directors)

If a sole trader is both a long-term casual employee of another business and also an eligible sole trader, they can choose to either let their employer claim the JobKeeper payments on their behalf, or they can claim as a sole trader, but not both.

You can check if your business meets the eligibility requirements on our website. 

I hope this information clarifies things for you and you remain well during this time.

MariR

Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 6

This is still not answering my question sorry.

I am asking if I am registered and claiming Jobkeeper as a sole trader, can I find and accept a NEW permanent part time position in another business after COVID with minimum hours still much less than my own business. I do not have this job yet but would like to clarify if taking such a role that is would affect my current confirmed eligibility.

What are my permissible options for other streams of income while remaining eligible for Jobkeeper????? 

Highlighted

Enthusiast

Replies 0

Hi Katie,
Did you get clarification on this?
The ATO called me back today with answers for my query. The helpful lady advised me that I don’t ‘opt out’ of Jobkeeper because of another employment opportunity that has arisen.
I was full time sole trader when I registered (fully eligible) and a month into Jobkeeper payments,
I have been offered a fixed contract job, which I’ve taken for the time being. They said that as long as I was eligible when enrolling in Jobkeeper, this won’t affect future payments / eligibility due to the new job - just as long as I was fully eligible when I registered.
Did you get the same info as this?
Highlighted

Community Support

Replies 4

Hi @Katie_D ,

So sorry for the delay in responding. We've received advice from our technical team.

You can continue to receive JobKeeper payments as a sole trader and take up the permanent part-time job. You assessed yourself eligible as at 1 March 2020 (including you weren't a permanent employee of another business as at 1 March 2020).

In your scenario you can earn additional income without your JobKeeper payments being affected. You can't claim JobKeeper from the new employer (if you take up the work).

Thanks for your patience while we looked in to it,

JasonT

Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 3

Hi Jason,  in this scenario of a Sole Trader finding new employment after being eligible for JobKeeper as a Sole Trader, do you tick yes or no to claiming the tax free threshold with the new employment? Is it better to put no, as the Sole Trader role is receiving JobKeeper as primary employer? Thank you