Announcements
We understand that 2020 has been a difficult year but we're here to try and make it a little easier for you during tax time. You can search other people's posts, read our articles or ask your own question.

ATO Community

Re: Jobkeeper for Soul traders - Enrol

Highlighted

Views 400

Replies 4

Hi,

I enrolled for the JobKeeper payments a few hours ago via MyGov.

I’m a soul trader, and only been active in my business for February/start of March. I have very little knowledge about tax/ATO. I would appreciate any help that you can give me in layman terms!

My questions are as follows:

1) I’ve Enrolled using MyGov, as a soul trader with zero employees. It says my request has been successfully lodged. What do I have to do now? I’m very confused as to what the next step is? I haven’t done any tests etc, I’ve just done the very simple enrolment page.

2) I have read all the information on the ATO website and here. I’m confused where it speaks about the MyGovID, Business portal and RAM - Do I need to have this, or can I do it all through MyGov? This part is confusing to me.

3) I’m currently stuck overseas due to Covid-19. Am I still eligible to receive the JobKeeper payment while abroad and lodging as a soul trader?

I’m confused, stressed and concerned - As I’m sure many people are. I appreciate any advice and answer you can give me.

Kind Regards,
Alex.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 3

Hi @alexwaddell 

Thanks for posting your questions in our community.

To answer your questions:

1. There is nothing further you needed to do – the payments will start on 1 May 2020. You can find more information about sole traders and Jobkeeper on our guides.
  2. You can find out more about myGovID and RAM on our website – basically they are authentication systems to access our online services.
  3. Yes, you can.

Hope this helps,

RaisaN

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 3

Hi @alexwaddell 

Thanks for posting your questions in our community.

To answer your questions:

1. There is nothing further you needed to do – the payments will start on 1 May 2020. You can find more information about sole traders and Jobkeeper on our guides.
  2. You can find out more about myGovID and RAM on our website – basically they are authentication systems to access our online services.
  3. Yes, you can.

Hope this helps,

RaisaN

Highlighted

Replies 2

Hi @RaisaN

Thank you for your reply.

Just some clarification:

Question one - So, I’ve only enrolled as a sole trader, with no employees and you say there is nothing further to do? So, even I have not provided the ATO with any income information or done any formal tests, they will automatically start paying me from the first of May?

Question 2- if above is correct, after I start receiving payments from 1st May, what are my obligations? Just report through MyGov each month as to what my Business income is and if any circumstances have changed?
Will I need to undergo any income tests/proof of income fall or is this only if the ATO require further information after payments start? I need to ensure I will receive JobKeeper payments in the first week of May as I’m stuck overseas with no finances.

Question 3- For a sole trader applying for the JobKeeper, am I required to have a MyGovID and RAM? Or is simply MyGov Linked to ATO sufficient? I only use MyGov linked to ATO, Medicare - NOT a MyGovID, RAM etc.

Thanks,
Alex
Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 1

I’m in a similar situation, Alex.
I feel your question hasn’t been fully answered yet??
Do we need a business portal? How do we lodge our earnings. I don’t pay GST as I come under the threshold so can’t do it through BAS & I don’t have the business portal?
The whole system has been really confusing sole traders who don’t employ anyone, so frustrating!
Highlighted

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @alexwaddell and @gmfreeek

Thanks for reaching out to us and for your patience.

Regarding enrolling for the JobKeeper Payment, our previous response was correct, however it is important to note that you still need to complete steps 2 and 3 (from 4 May) to get the payment and provide us with updates of how your business is progressing.

You can find out more about all three steps by checking out the JobKeeper guide for sole traders on our website.

As a sole trader, you don't need Business Portal access. In turn, you don't need to have a myGovID. You can apply for the payment using our online services which you can access from your myGov account.

Good luck with everything.

Thanks, ChrisR