Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Check out our answers to common questions the community has been asking.

ATO Community

Jobkeeper for commercial landlords

Highlighted

Initiate

Views 319

Replies 5

Hi, I have a company that has 3 commercial properties. The rent is our only income. We actively upkeep the property and deal with the tenants issues as they arise. By no means is this income received passively acquired. Due to covid we have had to waive rent for the properties that have had to shut their doors and meet the downturn criteria in that regard. Are we eligible for Jobkeeper? And why wouldn’t we be? I have read all the links but find it ambiguous and not a direct answer for commercial landlords. What help is available for Landlords apart from land tax reduction, which in our case is under $100 proportional.?
Thanks so much.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Dynamo

Replies 0

@KarenW I presume you have looked at the eligibility. What about cash flow boost, have you looked at that if you have a company with employees.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Replies 1

Hello, I am In a partnership situation and have 3 rental properties as sole income which has been reduced in excess of 70% since March. I manage the properties and do all maintenance,billing etc. As I see it, this is NOT a passive income.The "rules" seem unclear on this issue.Please advise if jobkeeper is available for this situation and if not why not..There seems to be a lot of help for other sectors of the community- but nothing for the so called"rich" landlords.In my situation I had to waive 40% and defer 40% for a mininum of 6 months.and any land tax concession has to be forwarded on to the tenant.This seems to be the only industry whereby we actually give money away- others defer -and most  add interest to the deffered amount as well as receiving jobkeeper. ,.---Rego.

Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 0

My thoughts exactly Rego!
Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 1

Does anyone have any advice or thoughts on this?
Highlighted

Dynamo

Replies 0

Hi @KarenW and @rego,

Sorry to hear about your circumstances.

Are you managing your properties as an individual or as a business/sole trader? If you're operating as a business or sole trader, and you pass the turnover test, you are eligible to claim JobKeeper.

If you're managing your properties as an individual, I'd recommend contacting Services Australia to see if you qualify for any of their income support payments.

Hope this helps!

Highlighted

Most helpful response

Dynamo

Replies 0

@KarenW I presume you have looked at the eligibility. What about cash flow boost, have you looked at that if you have a company with employees.