Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Watch the video in our latest news article.

ATO Community

Jobkeeper for small business with lots of casuals

Highlighted

Views 256

Replies 1

If I am understanding the Jobkeeper rules correctly as an employer I am to offer jobkeeper to every eligible employee on the books as at 31 march in order that I myself may claim the jobkeeper as the employer (only one per Business can claim). As a hospitality business down 95% in turnover I have 9 casuals who generally work less than 6 hours per week and not every week and 2 that are more intergral to the business working 15 top 20 hours per week. All have been with the business for more than 12 months but most are students. As I need to nominate them all in order to be able to get the jobkeeper payment for myself and the 2 people that have lost their jobs and if they all accept I will need to find $35,000 to pay them until the Government reimburses me. Clearly not practical. Am I to just hope that they dont all accept the offer I must make them in order that I at least pay the 2 people and myself?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @David_L,

Thank you for getting in touch!

We understand this is a difficult period and the information out there can be confusing.

As the eligible employees’ page states, for a casual to be eligible they do indeed have to have been employed on a regular and systematic basis for 12 months at 1 March, and cannot be a permanent employee of any other employer.

The ATO has provided some further clarification on what a ‘regular and systematic basis’ means along with examples at the section in this link.

At this stage I’d suggest reviewing the information in that link and assessing whether the 9 casuals’ work schedules would fit that description.

Another key factor is that eligible employees can only be nominated for Job Keeper by 1 employer, and long-term regular casuals cannot have permanent employment elsewhere, so it’d be best to speak with the casuals and clarify both of those points too.

We do understand that making payments at this time for Job Keeper may be difficult, and would suggest that if these costs are high, to speak with your bank as soon as possible if you are concerned.

Thanks again and hope the information I’ve provided is helpful.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @David_L,

Thank you for getting in touch!

We understand this is a difficult period and the information out there can be confusing.

As the eligible employees’ page states, for a casual to be eligible they do indeed have to have been employed on a regular and systematic basis for 12 months at 1 March, and cannot be a permanent employee of any other employer.

The ATO has provided some further clarification on what a ‘regular and systematic basis’ means along with examples at the section in this link.

At this stage I’d suggest reviewing the information in that link and assessing whether the 9 casuals’ work schedules would fit that description.

Another key factor is that eligible employees can only be nominated for Job Keeper by 1 employer, and long-term regular casuals cannot have permanent employment elsewhere, so it’d be best to speak with the casuals and clarify both of those points too.

We do understand that making payments at this time for Job Keeper may be difficult, and would suggest that if these costs are high, to speak with your bank as soon as possible if you are concerned.

Thanks again and hope the information I’ve provided is helpful.