Announcements
We’re doing scheduled maintenance on ATO Community to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You may see us go into read-only mode over the weekend while we do this. Don’t worry! You’ll still be able to search the site to find your answers.

ATO Community

Jobkeeper for sole trader on leave

Views 424

Replies 1

Hello, I am a sole trader who owns a business which operates out of markets. My business has suffered a decline since March when the markets were forced to close. I took 12 months long service/leave without pay from my other job in Dec 2019 with the view to running my market business in 2020. I haven’t received any income from my other job since mid March 2020. Am I eligible for job keeper for my sole trader business? I can’t return to my other job because it has been back filled until Dec 20. I don’t receive any other assistance from the Government. Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Cilla,

There is a list of eligibility criteria for sole traders available on our website. Due to the fact that you were employed at 1 March, it is unlikely that you would be eligible to apply for JobKeeper as a sole-trader.

You should investigate whether you would be eligible to claim as an employee. You may need to speak to your employer about this. Even if your position was backfilled, you are still technically 'employed' by them, and assuming they are an eligible business, there might be potential for you to be enrolled if you are an eligible employee.

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Cilla,

There is a list of eligibility criteria for sole traders available on our website. Due to the fact that you were employed at 1 March, it is unlikely that you would be eligible to apply for JobKeeper as a sole-trader.

You should investigate whether you would be eligible to claim as an employee. You may need to speak to your employer about this. Even if your position was backfilled, you are still technically 'employed' by them, and assuming they are an eligible business, there might be potential for you to be enrolled if you are an eligible employee.