Announcements
Looking for answers? Search our popular topics or ask a new question.

ATO Community

Re: Jobkeeper on Activity statements

Devotee

Views 20210

Replies 13

Do Jobkeeper payments need to be included on activity statements or are they BAS excluded income, noting they are assessable income?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 5

Hi All

To clarify,  the JobKeeper payment is not consideration for supply therefore not included in your GST turnover. For more information refer to Government grants in Law Companion Ruling 2020/1.

However, if you are registered for PAYG Withholding then you would still report total salary/wages etc and withheld amounts as per usual.

Thanks, Ari

13 REPLIES 13

Community Support

Replies 12

Hi @SM2304

Thanks for reaching out to us.

All JobKeeper payments are assessable income of the business that is eligible to receive the payments. The JobKeeper payment is not subject to GST. As for your BAS, we should have more information on our website about the JobKeeper payment and your BAS soon so keep an eye on it.

Good luck with it all.

Thanks

AmandaCW

Devotee

Replies 2

Thank you - I am assuming it will be BAS excluded income to be included in annual tax return

Initiate

Replies 1

Hi @SM2304 , did you manage to figure out should this be BAS Excluded or Bas Included (GST Free Income) ?

Looks like it was recommended by the accountant to be BAS Excluded: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqMzaQcEE9Q&t=157s

but the answer from ATO seems to say that it should appear on BAS.

Devotee

Replies 0

Conflicting advice on this forum from different community support contributors but I am convinced now it is BAS excluded income i.e not part of G1 on bAS but to be included in annual tax return

Devotee

Replies 8

Any news about whether JObkeeper payments need to be entered into BAS?

Community Support

Replies 7

Hi @SM2304,

Thank you for your enquiry, an update as JobKeeper is not sales income and not subject to GST it will not be included in BAS. It will be reported in the tax return as it is subject to tax and regarded as assessable employment income. 

The employer still claims the deduction on their return.- Salary or wages, bonuses, gratuities, allowances or other compensation or rewards for personal services paid are deductible under section 8-1 Income Tax Assessment Act 1997 if they are incurred in producing assessable income.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jodie2.

Initiate

Replies 6

Hi Jodie,

I have been told on this community page by ATO representative Alyce that Jobkeeper does not go on the BAS. Where are you getting your information from? Only Sales Income goes on the BAS, not all Income, and the Jobkeeper is certainly not Sales Income.

Your statement seems to conflict with the information on the BAS form. Please provide the source of your information because a personal opinion is not good enough from an ATO representative like yourself.

I understand that non-sales income does go on the tax assessment - this is true it seems, but seemingly you are incorrect about the BAS.

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 5

Hi All

To clarify,  the JobKeeper payment is not consideration for supply therefore not included in your GST turnover. For more information refer to Government grants in Law Companion Ruling 2020/1.

However, if you are registered for PAYG Withholding then you would still report total salary/wages etc and withheld amounts as per usual.

Thanks, Ari

Devotee

Replies 4

Jobkeeper is not included in BAS on G1