Announcements
On 21 July the government announced proposed changes to the JobKeeper program. These changes don’t affect Jobkeeper payments until after 28 September 2020.

ATO Community

Jobkeeper on top of Jobseeker?

Highlighted

Views 159

Replies 1

Hi there. 

I'm a sole trader that ran completely out of work since end of March due to COVID-19.

A while ago, ATO was saying that only people who lodged their taxes before 12th of March would be elligible for JobKeeper. I think that has been changed now, but, back in the day, that made me panic and apply for JobSeeker asap, since that wasn't backdated.

On Sunday 3rd of May, I got my JobSeeker confirmed and got the first payment into my account on Monday. On Tuesday 5th, I called the ATO and it seems like now I'll get JobKeeper as well, still TBC.

If Jobkeeper does get paid to me, do I give up Centrelink then? Or is it perfectly ok to receive both, as long as I declare the $1500 from JobKeeper as income on the next Centrelink declaration?

I called the ATO yesterday and the guy freaked out saying that getting both could incur in MASSIVE PENALTIES, which scared me, of course. Obviously, I don't want that and don't want to be in any sort of debt, since I've never owed anything to anyone in my life.

Cheers,

Henri

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @hfanti 

Thanks for reaching out to ATO Community.

The below information is from the JobKeeper payment knowledge based article.

I’ve applied for the JobSeeker Payment as well, can I claim both?

If you’re receiving or have applied for an income support payment like JobSeeker Payment and your employer starts paying you JobKeeper payment, you must report that income to Services Australia. If you don’t, they will pay you too much and you’ll have a debt to pay back. If you start to get JobKeeper payment you may need to cancel your JobSeeker Payment to avoid getting a debt.

I would also suggest cheking out our JobKeeper guide for sole traders regarding eligiblity.

Thanks i hope this clarifys.
SarahB1

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @hfanti 

Thanks for reaching out to ATO Community.

The below information is from the JobKeeper payment knowledge based article.

I’ve applied for the JobSeeker Payment as well, can I claim both?

If you’re receiving or have applied for an income support payment like JobSeeker Payment and your employer starts paying you JobKeeper payment, you must report that income to Services Australia. If you don’t, they will pay you too much and you’ll have a debt to pay back. If you start to get JobKeeper payment you may need to cancel your JobSeeker Payment to avoid getting a debt.

I would also suggest cheking out our JobKeeper guide for sole traders regarding eligiblity.

Thanks i hope this clarifys.
SarahB1