Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Watch the video in our latest news article.

ATO Community

Jobkeeper payment for student visa

Highlighted

Views 2418

Replies 3

Hi. I am on student visa and has a permanent part time position in a cafe since November 2019. My workplace is eligible for jobkeeper payment and they applied for me. I told them about my visa but my boss said i am eligible because i am permanent part time and an australian resident for tax purposes. I already receive the payment in my account. I am scared that i will get penalty for this by the end of the financial year. What should i do? Am i eligible for this even though i am on student visa?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 2

Good morning @Marieissa 

Thanks for contacting us.

To be eligible for JobKeeper you need to have been either of the following on 1 March 2020:

• an Australian resident (within the meaning of the Social Security Act 1991). This means that you resided in Australia, and were an Australian citizen, the holder of a permanent visa, or a Protected Special Category Visa Holder. Visit the Services Australia website and read residence descriptions for more details.
  • an Australian resident for the purpose of the Income Tax Assessment Act 1936 and the holder of a Subclass 444 (Special Category) visa.

You can read further information on the employee criteria requirements.

Thanks,

AngelaG

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 2

Good morning @Marieissa 

Thanks for contacting us.

To be eligible for JobKeeper you need to have been either of the following on 1 March 2020:

• an Australian resident (within the meaning of the Social Security Act 1991). This means that you resided in Australia, and were an Australian citizen, the holder of a permanent visa, or a Protected Special Category Visa Holder. Visit the Services Australia website and read residence descriptions for more details.
  • an Australian resident for the purpose of the Income Tax Assessment Act 1936 and the holder of a Subclass 444 (Special Category) visa.

You can read further information on the employee criteria requirements.

Thanks,

AngelaG

Highlighted

Replies 1

Since I am not in any of the two category, will i be issued a penalty or fine?
Highlighted

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Marieissa 

I am sorry to hear that you are not eligible.

I would suggest that you speak with your employer as soon as possible to advice them that you are not eligible as per the information on our website.

What if I pay my employees and find out they aren’t eligible?

Employers are responsible for checking with their employees they meet the eligibility requirements prior to paying their employees. If you think there has been a mistake, your employer will need to phone us.

Wishing you the best of luck.

AngelaG