Announcements
Have you sold crypto, shares or property? Our new capital gains tax guide has info about cost bases, calculations & more! Still got questions? Ask the Community!

ATO Community

Jobkeeper payment issue

Views 640

Replies 1

My employer lodged my employee nomination notice mid April (17th) - with initial thought that I would get paid $1500 fortnightly.

She tells me that she won’t find out if jobkeeper is “approved” until May. After lodgement of jobkeeper notice form, she tells me that I will be backpaid the jobkeeper payment when she finds out the approval - but from April 17 onwards, she’s been making false payslips weekly stating that I’ve been paid $750 - in which I haven’t.

So instead of her paying me $750 from her own pocket, she’s been paying me for the amount of hours I worked within the week (e.g 10 hours work, payment of $200) - but declaring false $750 payslips to the ATO to “prove” she’s paying me for jobkeeper. So bank payments do not align with the payslips.

The ONLY backpay for JK I received was $1275 which was May 26 - employer tells me that it was for the month of April. And tells me JK is “declined” for May.

Can I get a clear confirmation on whether this is inaccurate and illegal? If possible, can provide some calculations and immediate actions take?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @tcj-jpg,

Thanks for your question.

We can only provide general information here, but you can contact us to discuss your specific circumstances.

The scenario you have described doesn't sound right.

Eligibility for JobKeeper is self-assessed by the employer. If they determine they are eligible, then they nominate all eligible employees. (It is possible that your employer has now determined that they were not in fact eligible, but based on what you have said, it doesn't sound like that is what happened.)

Eligible employers need to pay eligible employees a minimum of $1,500 (before tax) before the end of each JobKeeper fortnight. Even if an employee normally earns less than $1500 per fortnight, they must be paid a minimum $1500 (before tax).

Our knowledge base article has information on what to do if you think your employer is not following the rules.

I hope this information helps.

Regards

RochL

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @tcj-jpg,

Thanks for your question.

We can only provide general information here, but you can contact us to discuss your specific circumstances.

The scenario you have described doesn't sound right.

Eligibility for JobKeeper is self-assessed by the employer. If they determine they are eligible, then they nominate all eligible employees. (It is possible that your employer has now determined that they were not in fact eligible, but based on what you have said, it doesn't sound like that is what happened.)

Eligible employers need to pay eligible employees a minimum of $1,500 (before tax) before the end of each JobKeeper fortnight. Even if an employee normally earns less than $1500 per fortnight, they must be paid a minimum $1500 (before tax).

Our knowledge base article has information on what to do if you think your employer is not following the rules.

I hope this information helps.

Regards

RochL