Announcements
We’re doing scheduled maintenance on ATO Community to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You may see us go into read-only mode over the weekend while we do this. Don’t worry! You’ll still be able to search the site to find your answers.

ATO Community

Jobkeeper payment - returning to work from maternity leave

Observer

Views 791

Replies 2

Hi I am wondering if I will be eligible for the Jobkeeper payment from my employer.

I had been on maternity leave since August 2019 and was in a permanent full time position with my employer since 2017 before the maternity leave. I had been receiving Centrelink Parental Leave pay for 18 weeks and then unpaid maternity leave during the period of my mat leave so I have not received any of the government payments or payments from my employer since the beginning of January 2020, until I returned to work from 6th April 2020, I started to receive wages from my employer. 

In December 2019 I asked my employer if I was able to return to work part time in January 2020 however I was offered a letter from my employer in early January 2020 stating that they were only able to have me back from Monday  6th April  2020 part time (permanent) since their business is quiet. I accepted the offer and went back to work from 6th April 2020.

The jobkeeper scheme does mention an employee needs to be employed on 1st March 2020 to be eligible and technically speaking I have been employed by the employer on 1st March 2020. It was in January 2020 my employer offered me to return to work from my maternity leave on  6th April 2020. If my employer is eligible, will I be eligible for the jobkeeper payment from the 6th April 2020?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Champion

Replies 0

You were employed on the 1 March but just on leave on that specific date. So yes you should receive the minimum $1,500 per fortnight JobKeeper wage.

2 REPLIES 2

Most helpful response

Champion

Replies 0

You were employed on the 1 March but just on leave on that specific date. So yes you should receive the minimum $1,500 per fortnight JobKeeper wage.

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Hermz,

Thank you for reaching out to the community.

As @needananswer has kindly said, you were still employed as at the 1st of March 2020. If your employer meets their eligibility criteria and you meet the employee eligibility criteria, you will qualify for the JobKeeper payment.

Keep in mind, for the first two fortnights (30 March – 12 April, 13 April – 26 April), we will accept the minimum $1,500 payment for each fortnight that has been paid to you even if it has been paid late, provided it was paid to you by 8 May. Please refer to JobKeeper Key Dates for further information.

All the best,
Dejan