Announcements
Looking for answers? Search our popular topics or ask a new question.

ATO Community

Re: Jobkeeper sole trader - new business eligibility

Highlighted

Initiate

Views 1038

Replies 8

Hi, 

I'm a sole trader who set up my business in November last year. The ATO has now released the alternative test rules for new businesses and I satisfy the alternative turnover test. 

However on the sole trader page the eligibility criteria is: 

Your entity is eligible if:

• on 1 March 2020, it carried on a business in Australia
  • it satisfies the fall in turnover test for the relevant period
  • it satisfied certain conditions as at 12 March 2020, being
    • it had an ABN on 12 March 2020, and
    • it had lodged, on or before 12 March 2020, at least one of
      • a 2018–19 income tax return showing that it had an amount included in its assessable income in relation to it carrying on a business, or
      • an activity statement or GST return for any tax period that started after 1 July 2018 and ended before 12 March 2020 showing that it made a taxable, GST-free or input-taxed sale.

See red above. My business was not yet registered for GST (unclear whether I would hit the threshold for this financial year), hasn't been contacted by the ATO for make PAYG installments (so no activity statements), and wasn't operating last year. Will the above eligibility criteria also be amended to include new business sole traders or am I ineligible? 

Thanks for your advice. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 0

This is a known issues they're tryign to work through at the moment and i think this is why they have extended the deadline to enrol. You can enrol over the phone or if you have already selected yes to lodging the tax return to get through the enrollment form you can correct this information when you complete step 2 (identify employees including yourself as a business participant). The main thing is to make sure you meet all the elgiiblity criteria and if you have employees make sure they recieve their payments before the 8th May. If you are applying for yourself as a sole trader then you dont need to meet the wage test (e.g. you dont need to pay yourself 1500 to be eligible)

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 0

I'm in precisely the same situation and it seems quite a few of us have been asking this question over the past few days.

Hopefully, someone from the ATO can confirm asap!

Highlighted

Superuser

Replies 0

Yep ! I'm in the same boat. I'm thinking the fact that this questions hasn't been answered even though it's been asked a lot goes to show even the ATO don't know.
Would LOVE to know then answer to this one.
Highlighted

Superuser

Replies 3

@jamesd7 , I'm following a similar thread on another question (I don't know how to link you to that one), but an ATO representative named @SusieE said that:

'As long as you meet all the other criteria guidelines you won't need to have had something in your 2018-19 return that related to running a business or have submitted something to the ATO before 12 March. The Alternative Turnover Test and meeting the other guidelines should suffice'

I'm hoping we are able to get exact clarification on this with some form of official document, or link to the ATO website that backs this up. That was would be super helpful. @SusieE , do you have any links that you could help us with to support that, just so we know we're doing the right thing? 

Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 0

Hi @mac_bridie - thanks for the reply. Still nothing here from someone from the ato.

I've also been trying to keep an eye on some other threads but I'm still not sure about this. Could you do me a favour and try to send me the thread you were refering to? You could copy paste the URL here or copy the entire subject line so I could search it? 

Highlighted

Replies 1

Hi, was the issue resolved, there is so much confusion around. I have been in the same boat, new business, no GST filing on account of income not reaching the threshold, however, was rejected payment. I tried approaching for discretion, that was rejected too. 
Can you please suggest any other step that can be taken. My income has been reduced to 0 for so many months now, however, still struggling to get the Job Keeper. I would really appreciate your response.

Highlighted

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @CovidQuery,

I hope @mac_bridie gets back to you with their outcome however I noticed you put this similar question on another thread where @StephATO has replied to you also.

Wishing you all the best!

Highlighted

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 0

This is a known issues they're tryign to work through at the moment and i think this is why they have extended the deadline to enrol. You can enrol over the phone or if you have already selected yes to lodging the tax return to get through the enrollment form you can correct this information when you complete step 2 (identify employees including yourself as a business participant). The main thing is to make sure you meet all the elgiiblity criteria and if you have employees make sure they recieve their payments before the 8th May. If you are applying for yourself as a sole trader then you dont need to meet the wage test (e.g. you dont need to pay yourself 1500 to be eligible)

Highlighted

Replies 0

Today Ato advise me its not required if business have established after 01 July 2019. They willcompare 6 months of business. I have taken refrence no from them and applied.