Announcements
Have a question about JobKeeper? Things are a little different this month so we’ve put together a summary of what businesses need to know.

ATO Community

Re: Jobkeeper - sole trader, new business, no BAS required. How to satisfy ATO information requir...

Superuser

Replies 0

Hey All. My scenario was similar to NeilC and his wife.

I managed to get in touch with a small biz manager in the ATO to discuss mine. I had applied for JK initially due to call centre staff saying it was ok because the alternative test for wasn't available yet.

Long story short, I had to apply for discretion and send in details specific to December 2019 like invoices etc. Then I got told I would have got discretion but because I had enrolled originally, they'd just keep that one going rather than messing around with that (in a round about way). The documents I sent are on my file in case I ever get questioned. So I've been receiving JK as a new business who commenced in Aug 2019.
I've since been asked to write an email to the ATO Small business manager about how this process could have been made easier for new businesses, and generally how the ATO can support new businesses so I'll send in the confusion issue for sur
It's so confusing and inconsistent. Such a stressful time.

Replies 0

Hi Brett

I'm in the same boat as yourself. Received job keeper for two months and suddenly the payments ceased. When enquired, ATO advised that my business was not eligible and received an email from ATO stating that my business is not eligible as I haven't made any sales or supply before Dec'19 and didn't disclose the assessable income to Commissioner. I lodged Commissioners discretion sometime in April as well, but didnt get any response. But the payments were made for first two months. I started my businesss by mid feb'2020 and had some income in feb'2020 & Mar'2020 but nil in Apr'2020.

We keep hearing different answers from different forums, people, tax agents & ATO. It's very confusing and frustrating that ATO is unable to help out new businesses which are affected really badly. Hope ATO understands the situation of new businessess and help us all out. Would be great if you can update if there is any progress in this subject matter.

Thanks.