Announcements
Have you sold crypto, shares or property? Our new capital gains tax guide has info about cost bases, calculations & more! Still got questions? Ask the Community!

ATO Community

Re: Jobkeeper top up

I'm new

Views 1812

Replies 3

Hello. We pay our staff fortnightly, first pay during job keeper was 2nd of April -  how do i work out pro rata what to pay staff or will $3000 combined for pays of 16th and 30th be enough

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @dumbo69 

So long as you pay your employee a 'minimum' of $3,000 before 30 April, then you will be eligible for the JobKeeper payment.

https://www.ato.gov.au/General/JobKeeper-Payment/Employers/Paying-your-eligible-employees/#Howmuchto...

You would still need to accurately report the wages for that period, so if you report monthly, then include the 2nd of April and the other two payments on the 16th and 30th of April as well.

Hope that answers your query

Ray

3 REPLIES 3

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @dumbo69 

So long as you pay your employee a 'minimum' of $3,000 before 30 April, then you will be eligible for the JobKeeper payment.

https://www.ato.gov.au/General/JobKeeper-Payment/Employers/Paying-your-eligible-employees/#Howmuchto...

You would still need to accurately report the wages for that period, so if you report monthly, then include the 2nd of April and the other two payments on the 16th and 30th of April as well.

Hope that answers your query

Ray

Initiate

Replies 1

Hi @RaymondI 

I have a similar situation where an employee returned to work on the 8th April and was paid nothing in Job Keeper FN 1.  We are on a fortnightly pay cycle so we paid the employee their normal salary for FN2, which is higher than $1,500, and a back pay of $864 for FN1.  Does this mean that if I pay the employee a Job Keeper  top up of $636 for FN1, I would be eligible for the $1,500 subsidy for both JK fortnights in April?  Or would I need to process a $1,500 Job keeper top up to claim the subsidy given no payment was processed in FN1?  

Many thanks

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @olvella,

Sorry for the late response. I hope this has been sorted already, if not I hope this information helps.

An employer needs to re-start or continue to pay all eligible employees at least $1,500 a fortnight in line with their existing pay cycle through your existing payroll solution.

In regards to time frame, an employer should pay their employees for each JobKeeper fortnight they plan to claim for.

The first fortnight is from 30 March – 12 April and each JobKeeper fortnight follows after that.

For the first two fortnights (30 March – 12 April, 13 April – 26 April), we will accept the minimum $1,500 payment for each fortnight has been paid by an employer even if it has been paid late, provided it is paid by by 8 May.

This means that an emplyer can make two fortnightly payments of at least $1,500 per fortnight by 8 May, or a combined payment of at least $3,000.

For the third fortnight (27 April – 10 May) they must pay their  eligible employees by 10 May.

If an employer usually pay your employees less frequently than fortnightly, the payment can be allocated between fortnights in a reasonable manner. For example, if they pay your employees on a monthly pay cycle, their employees must have received the monthly equivalent of $1,500 per fortnight.

An employer cannot claim the JobKeeper payment on behalf of employees who were not paid at least $1,500 (before tax) during each JobKeeper payment period.

An employer cannot claim the JobKeeper payment in advance. The JobKeeper payment is a reimbursement from us to an employer in arrears, and cannot be paid in advance in any circumstances. 

Due to COVID-19 workplace entitlements and obligations have been amended, Fair Work has provided additional guidance on employee and employer obligations – see JobKeeper changes to the Fair Work Act that may assist you.

For more general information you can look at our webpage:When and how much do we pay employees?

I really hope this information helps and you remain safe and well.

MariR