Announcements
The JobKeeper Payment scheme finished on 28 March 2021. Find out what this means for your business.

ATO Community

Re: Jobkeeper with 2nd full time job and claiming tax-free threshold

Initiate

Views 321

Replies 6

Hi, I am currently a full time worker at Employer A where I am receiving the Jobkeeper payment. Am I allowed to work a second full time job while receiving the Jobkeeper payment from Employer A? 

If I am allowed to work the second full time job, do i claim the tax-free threshold from the second employer? or, do i need to change the tax-free threshold option from the Employer A as I am on a Jobkeeper payment with this employer?

Thank you,

Kan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 3

Hi @kdy,

Apologies for any confusion here, but you can actually obtain a second full time job (Employer B) whilst receiving JobKeeper if you continue to be employed on a full time basis by your JobKeeper claiming employer (Employer A). There is no requirement to be casual.

It is important to be aware that you can only continue to receive JobKeeper through Employer A so long as you continue to meet the fortnightly test with them. Additionally, if Employer A asks you to work reasonable extra hours or alter your working days/times while you're receiving JobKeeper payments from them, you must consider their request and can't unreasonably refuse it

I hope this helps with your situation Smiley Happy

RachATO

6 REPLIES 6

Community Support

Replies 5

Hi @kdy

You can obtain additional employment (casual, part-time, full-time or fixed term) and continue to be employed and paid JobKeeper by your other employer if it is a casual job. As you already have a full time job and would like the receive another full time job this will effect your JobKeeper eligibility as it will change the employment status with your JobKeeper employer.

As for claiming the tax-free threshold this will be dependent on which job you receive the highest pay from. For more information please read our information on claiming the tax free threshold when you are working two jobs.

All the best!

Initiate

Replies 4

Hi @YianaATO 

Thank you for clarifying. Would I still be eligible for the Jobkeeper payment if i change the status of my employment to casual for my Employer A? 

Thank you

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 3

Hi @kdy,

Apologies for any confusion here, but you can actually obtain a second full time job (Employer B) whilst receiving JobKeeper if you continue to be employed on a full time basis by your JobKeeper claiming employer (Employer A). There is no requirement to be casual.

It is important to be aware that you can only continue to receive JobKeeper through Employer A so long as you continue to meet the fortnightly test with them. Additionally, if Employer A asks you to work reasonable extra hours or alter your working days/times while you're receiving JobKeeper payments from them, you must consider their request and can't unreasonably refuse it

I hope this helps with your situation Smiley Happy

RachATO

Initiate

Replies 2

Hi @RachATO 

Thank you for clarifying that. That sounds a lot clearer.

With regards to claiming the tax-free threshold, I understand that you should only claim from one employer that pays you the highest pay. As I am with Employer A where I am receiving jobkeeper and is claiming the tax-free threshold, but I may possibly earn higher with Employer B. How should i proceed in this case? Should i claim or not claim the tax-free threshold from Employer B? I don't want to be in a tax-debt at the end of the year.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

ATO Community Support

Replies 1

Hi again @kdy,

Yes, it's typically recommended that you claim the tax free threshold from the employer who pays you the highest income. You can easily change your tax-withholding preference by completing the Tax file number declaration form given to you by Employer B and ticking 'Yes' at question 9 ("Do you want to claim the tax-free threshold from this payer?").

You would also need to complete a Withholding declaration form with Employer A to officially notify them you no longer wish to claim the tax-free threshold from them.

Ideally you should submit these forms at the same time, as if you delay giving the second form to Employer A, it may result in too little tax being withheld (which may possibly result in a tax debt).

Good luck with everything Smiley Happy

RachATO

Initiate

Replies 0

Hi @RachATO,

Thank you for your clarification on this. I really appreciate.

Have a good day Smiley Happy

Kan