ATO Community

Re: Jobkeeper

Initiate

Views 71

Replies 6

A question about Jobkeeper.

My income as a sole trader is seasonal and irregular.

In December 2020 I had an increase in turnover in comparison to Dec 2019 - But my Sept - Dec 2020 quarter turnover was down overall by 80%. I wasnt paid jobkeeper and was wondering if there any way to get the december jobkeeper reasessed based on the quarter rather than the month? (In December there were 3 fortnights that were paid jobkeeper, rather than the normal two so I missed out of a lot of money that was sorely needed as these lockdowns have almost closed down my business)

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

ATO Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @littlebirdie73,

Seems like there may be a little misunderstanding here as to how JobKeeper works. What @SM2304 said is correct. I'll try provide a quick rundown on how the eligibility and reporting worked.

To qualify for Jobkeeper you were required to demonstrate turnover drops in certain quarters. For example, the first period of JobKeeper required a turnover drop of at least 30% by comparing March quarter from 2020 to 2019. Meeting this meant you were eligible for the entire period of JobKeeper up until September 28th 2020. During this time you were required to lodge monthly declarations. These declarations allowed you to claim the required amount for the subsidy, along with reporting to us how businesses were doing. This was not a retest of eligibility. 

The December month was apart of the first extension period. You would've already submitted your eligibility for this prior. We don't then retest your eligibility for this month, as you would've qualified for the entire extension. As you mentioned you weren't paid, you'll need to contact our business area to submit the monthly declaration. Their number can be found on our contact us page under business enquiries.

Hope this helps, let us know if you have any further questions.

6 REPLIES 6

Devotee

Replies 5

You are clearly somewhat confused - Jobkeeper eligibility was based on quarter rather than monthly turnover all along

Initiate

Replies 4

Why does it make you report monthly then? And then only pay you for the months that you showed a decline?

Devotee

Replies 3

Monthly reporting is ONLY for data collection and you will get paid every month SO LONG as you make a declaration by the cut off date

Initiate

Replies 2

But I didn't get paid for December?? Do I need to contact them?

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

ATO Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @littlebirdie73,

Seems like there may be a little misunderstanding here as to how JobKeeper works. What @SM2304 said is correct. I'll try provide a quick rundown on how the eligibility and reporting worked.

To qualify for Jobkeeper you were required to demonstrate turnover drops in certain quarters. For example, the first period of JobKeeper required a turnover drop of at least 30% by comparing March quarter from 2020 to 2019. Meeting this meant you were eligible for the entire period of JobKeeper up until September 28th 2020. During this time you were required to lodge monthly declarations. These declarations allowed you to claim the required amount for the subsidy, along with reporting to us how businesses were doing. This was not a retest of eligibility. 

The December month was apart of the first extension period. You would've already submitted your eligibility for this prior. We don't then retest your eligibility for this month, as you would've qualified for the entire extension. As you mentioned you weren't paid, you'll need to contact our business area to submit the monthly declaration. Their number can be found on our contact us page under business enquiries.

Hope this helps, let us know if you have any further questions.

Initiate

Replies 0

Great thanks for that. I'll get in touch.