Announcements
On 21 July the government announced proposed changes to the JobKeeper program. These changes don’t affect Jobkeeper payments until after 28 September 2020.

ATO Community

Re: Jobseeker versus jobkeepers

Highlighted

Initiate

Views 578

Replies 6

If I'm self employed only under ABN , most weeks I don't make massive amount an have it topped up by Newstart. As I clean houses my jobs have died due to virus do I remain on jobseeker / Newstart or apply for job keeper (I am the only person working on ABN only not get registered) . What do I do an if it is the latter job keeper do I loose Newstart and also have to reapply when the jobkeepers stops? Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 4

Hi @Ness9705,

Thank you for your query!

You would indeed be eligible as a Self-Employed individual to receive Job Keeper payments if your primary income is as a sole trader and if your turnover has been reduced by 30%, so if you meet that criteria, which is outlined in the employer fact sheet, you would certainly be able to apply.

I would also suggest reviewing the ‘self employed and other eligible businesses’ section of the Job Keeper frequently asked questions, for some really helpful information on the scheme.  

You can register your interest here, and very shortly you should be able to make an application.

For your application, you’ll need to provide business statements that show that you have experienced the downturn year-to-year, and then to maintain eligibility, you’ll need to continue to provide these monthly.  

As someone receiving Job Seeker at the moment, you will have to notify Services Australia via mygov or over the phone once you begin to receive Job Keeper payments, as these payments are viewed as regular income, and would represent a change in your circumstances. You would most likely no longer receive the Job Seeker payments, or receive them at a reduced rate.

Job Keeper payments will be available for a maximum of 6 months from 30 March 2020, so if your circumstances do change after then, you can notify Services Australia again, and they should be able to revisit your eligibility for Job Seeker and provide support accordingly.

Registering your interest means you’ll receive updates on Job Keeper as they come, and can stay informed about what you need to do.

I hope you’ve found this information helpful!

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Devotee

Replies 0

It sounds like you might be a sole trader. Check the information on Jobkeeper payment.  If you are eligible for JobKeeper and get this payment then you will need to stop your Job Seeker payment. Once the JobKeeper payment is finised, you can then apply to go back onto Job Seeker if necessary.

Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 4

Hi @Ness9705,

Thank you for your query!

You would indeed be eligible as a Self-Employed individual to receive Job Keeper payments if your primary income is as a sole trader and if your turnover has been reduced by 30%, so if you meet that criteria, which is outlined in the employer fact sheet, you would certainly be able to apply.

I would also suggest reviewing the ‘self employed and other eligible businesses’ section of the Job Keeper frequently asked questions, for some really helpful information on the scheme.  

You can register your interest here, and very shortly you should be able to make an application.

For your application, you’ll need to provide business statements that show that you have experienced the downturn year-to-year, and then to maintain eligibility, you’ll need to continue to provide these monthly.  

As someone receiving Job Seeker at the moment, you will have to notify Services Australia via mygov or over the phone once you begin to receive Job Keeper payments, as these payments are viewed as regular income, and would represent a change in your circumstances. You would most likely no longer receive the Job Seeker payments, or receive them at a reduced rate.

Job Keeper payments will be available for a maximum of 6 months from 30 March 2020, so if your circumstances do change after then, you can notify Services Australia again, and they should be able to revisit your eligibility for Job Seeker and provide support accordingly.

Registering your interest means you’ll receive updates on Job Keeper as they come, and can stay informed about what you need to do.

I hope you’ve found this information helpful!

Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 3

Thanks for the info when you say I have to provide a business statement every month is that a bas? I don't do them I just do tax at end of the year my business is just a home cleaner I'm hardly making loads but just enough to avoid the rigorous job search criteria every month and I just get top up with Newstart. So what exactly is it I need to supply?
Highlighted

Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @Ness9705,

No worries at all!

The fact sheets don't specifically mention a BAS, so really just year-to-year bank statements that can show the loss of primary income should be suffice.

Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 0

Thanks for info sorry to be ask again but as I'm a majority cash in hand an some through my bank an don't really have a business account would a written statement do? I just want to make sure I am able to support what's needed. Otherwise I will remain on jobseekers, i clean houses on my own don't earn to much just enough so not a thriving business but have lost all of what I had 🤷
Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 0

It shows in my reporting for Newstart if that helps. But if I go off it how can I prove the loss of income 🤷 sorry for all the questions, an thank you for answering me 👍