ATO Community

Re: Jobseeker while waiting for jobkeeper?

Views 1063

Replies 4

Hey all,

I am a sole trader and I believe I qualify for JobKeeper. I have submitted my claim but have not received any actual confirmation that I will indeed receive this $1500 per fortnight. Unlike regular employees, who are already being paid jobkeeper through their employers, I have not yet received any financial support (as I'm a sole trader I must wait for the ato to make a payment).

My question is: Can I apply for JobSeeker now and then cancel that if/when Jobkeeper money starts actually coming into my bank account? I know of course you cannot receive JobKeeper and JobSeeker money at the same time, because the $1500/fortnight from JobKeeper will automatically put you above the cutoff for JobSeeker. But as I'm a sole trader, I have not actually received any money yet, while my business turnover has been down since March. I also haven't received any actual concrete confirmation that I indeed will receive the Jobkeeper, so it makes sense to me to get JobSeeker while I wait?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ben.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 3

Hi @bencelot

Thanks for getting in touch

Check, out the information in our JobKeeper guide – Sole Traders. This guide has all the steps you need to take to enrol for JobKeeper payments.

If you have already enrolled for JobKeeper payment and completed all the steps detailed in the JobKeeper guide – Sole Traders, then information regarding payments can be found in our Knowledge Base

When will I receive the payment?

You will receive the payment within 2 weeks once you have enrolled, identified eligible employees and business participant and completed the monthly business declaration.

In relation to your question on applying for JobSeeker payment, our Knowledge Base also has information on this.

I’ve applied for the JobSeeker Payment as well, can I claim both?

If you’re receiving or have applied for an income support payment like JobSeeker Payment and your employer starts paying you JobKeeper payment, you must report that income to Services Australia. If you don’t, they will pay you too much and you’ll have a debt to pay back. If you start to get JobKeeper payment you may need to cancel your JobSeeker Payment to avoid getting a debt.

Hopefully this helps

AmandaCW

4 REPLIES 4

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 3

Hi @bencelot

Thanks for getting in touch

Check, out the information in our JobKeeper guide – Sole Traders. This guide has all the steps you need to take to enrol for JobKeeper payments.

If you have already enrolled for JobKeeper payment and completed all the steps detailed in the JobKeeper guide – Sole Traders, then information regarding payments can be found in our Knowledge Base

When will I receive the payment?

You will receive the payment within 2 weeks once you have enrolled, identified eligible employees and business participant and completed the monthly business declaration.

In relation to your question on applying for JobSeeker payment, our Knowledge Base also has information on this.

I’ve applied for the JobSeeker Payment as well, can I claim both?

If you’re receiving or have applied for an income support payment like JobSeeker Payment and your employer starts paying you JobKeeper payment, you must report that income to Services Australia. If you don’t, they will pay you too much and you’ll have a debt to pay back. If you start to get JobKeeper payment you may need to cancel your JobSeeker Payment to avoid getting a debt.

Hopefully this helps

AmandaCW

Replies 2

Hi Amanda, thanks for the fast reply.

So in regards to this answer:
"If you’re receiving or have applied for an income support payment like JobSeeker Payment and your employer starts paying you JobKeeper payment, you must report that income to Services Australia. If you don’t, they will pay you too much and you’ll have a debt to pay back. If you start to get JobKeeper payment you may need to cancel your JobSeeker Payment to avoid getting a debt."

Absolutely, the moment JobKeeper money starts coming into my account from the ATO I will be reporting it to Services Australia (or just cancelling JobSeeker entirely). My question specifically was if it's ok to apply for JobSeeker *before* this arrives, considering that I'm a sole trader who has not yet received any money (unlike regular employees).

From the answer above it implies that it's fine to be on both at the same time, as long as you report it to Services Australia, which I of course will do.

Thanks for your help,
Ben.

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @bencelot,

Thank you for your response and apologies for the delay. Hoping that you have received a payment from ATO and resolved the matter with Services Australia. If not you can contact us for further assistance.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

JodieR.  

Enthusiast

Replies 0

Bencelot, this information might come too late for you but if you are receiving Job seeker from Centrelink as a sole trader and you then start to receive Jobkeeper from the ATO as a sole trader, then the amount you declare to Centrelink as "income received" is not the full Jobkeeper payment. It is your net profit for that period. That's because Jobkeeper paid to a sole trader is not an income paid by an employer, it is "gross business income" and can be used to pay business expenses. So you add the Jobkeeper payment to your gross business income then deduct your expenses to arrive at a net profit and that is what you report to Centrelink, not the full Jobkeeper payment.