Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Re: Late Jobkeeper Registration

Views 2456

Replies 6

Hi there,

I have just discovered that my client was 32% down in income in March, I believe we can still apply for Jobkeeper up until May the 31st but we haven't made Jobkeeper payments to his staff in April and May (just their usual pays). How do we catch up? Or is it too late?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 5

Hi @Hazel6,

Thank you for reaching out to us. The website advises - The Commissioner has extended the time to enrol for the initial JobKeeper periods to 31 May 2020.

If you enrol by 31 May, you will still be able to claim for the fortnights ending in April and May provided you meet all the eligibility requirements for each of those fortnights. This includes having paid your employees by the appropriate date for each fortnight.

For the first two fortnights (30 March – 12 April, 13 April – 26 April), we will accept the minimum $1,500 payment for each fortnight has been paid by you even if it has been paid late, provided it is paid by you by 8 May. If you do not pay your staff by this date, you will not be able to claim JobKeeper for the first two fortnights.

You can enrol and claim for JobKeeper earlier if you choose. For example, you can enrol by the end of April to claim JobKeeper payments for the two fortnights in April.

You can view information about JobKeeper payments and key dates via the links.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jodie2.

6 REPLIES 6

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 5

Hi @Hazel6,

Thank you for reaching out to us. The website advises - The Commissioner has extended the time to enrol for the initial JobKeeper periods to 31 May 2020.

If you enrol by 31 May, you will still be able to claim for the fortnights ending in April and May provided you meet all the eligibility requirements for each of those fortnights. This includes having paid your employees by the appropriate date for each fortnight.

For the first two fortnights (30 March – 12 April, 13 April – 26 April), we will accept the minimum $1,500 payment for each fortnight has been paid by you even if it has been paid late, provided it is paid by you by 8 May. If you do not pay your staff by this date, you will not be able to claim JobKeeper for the first two fortnights.

You can enrol and claim for JobKeeper earlier if you choose. For example, you can enrol by the end of April to claim JobKeeper payments for the two fortnights in April.

You can view information about JobKeeper payments and key dates via the links.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jodie2.

Replies 4

Hi Jodie,

Thank you for your reply. We haven't made any Jobkeeper payments in April or May as we didn't realise that we qualified so I guess it means we have missed the boat?

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Hazel6,

Thank you for reaching out to us. You can still enrol for JobKeeper payments. Please be advised under JobKeeper Qs and As -  

'I want to start claiming from August, do I need to enrol before the end of May?'

Answer: 31 May is the final date to enrol if the employer wants to claim for JobKeeper fortnights in April and May. If the employer is not currently eligible for April and May but they become eligible in a later month, they will be able to enrol by the end of that month. For example, if the employer becomes eligible in July, they will be able to complete Steps 1 and 2 'Enrol and nominate your eligible employees' by the end of July.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jodie2.

Enthusiast

Replies 2

These answers seem to spout the party line. If you didn't know you qualify then you miss out. It doesn't seem fair.

I'm trying to work out if we qualify backdated to FN01 but the guy at the ATO didn't have a clue...

I'm stressed to the max about this... No idea if we missed the boat...

ATO Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @RoadRunnerOz,

You would need to pay your eligible employees  prior to 8th May to claim the earlier fortnights, the website advises - You cannot claim the JobKeeper payment on behalf of employees who were not paid at least $1,500 (before tax) during each JobKeeper payment period.

You cannot claim the JobKeeper payment in advance. The JobKeeper payment is a reimbursement from us to an employer in arrears, and cannot be paid in advance in any circumstances.

When to pay - 'You should pay your employees for each JobKeeper fortnight you plan to claim for. The first fortnight is from 30 March – 12 April and each JobKeeper fortnight follows after that.

For the first two fortnights (30 March – 12 April, 13 April – 26 April), we will accept the minimum $1,500 payment for each fortnight has been paid by you even if it has been paid late, provided it is paid by you by 8 May. This means that you can make two fortnightly payments of at least $1,500 per fortnight by 8 May, or a combined payment of at least $3,000.'

If you are still wanting to enrol you can. However the above information is relevant. If you did not meet the requirements you can enrol for the months when you do.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jodie2.

Enthusiast

Replies 0

Thanks Jodie for your response.

I called the ATO on Saturday and they reset me to FN01 and payment will be this week.

So even though you reiterated the ATO website it is not actually the true source of information. I actually called twice.  The first time, I was put on hold forever and the guy ended up saying he had no idea. I asked if I could be reset back to FN01 based on quarterly earnings.  He said he could do whatever I asked for but would not advise!   The second time I called, the young lady said Yes, a lot of entities are resetting their start period because the rules appeared to have changed from what was initially written up.  So for anyone reading this response, I would suggest calling the ATO for a final solution.  They will also write up the conversation in the notes section so you have proof you are trying to do the right thing... - Cheerio