Announcements
We’re doing scheduled maintenance on ATO Community to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You may see us go into read-only mode over the weekend while we do this. Don’t worry! You’ll still be able to search the site to find your answers.

ATO Community

Long term casual plus contract job

Views 1060

Replies 4

Hello,
If I am receiving jobkeeper payment from a long term casual job and I am offered a contract job (from employers hiring for covid, so unsure about end date) will I still be eligible for the jobkeeper payment with my first long term casual position?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 3

Hi @Shell99,

Great question! I'm hoping our JobKeeper knowledge base article answers it for you.

What if I have multiple jobs?

You can only receive the payment from one employer. Here are some different scenarios:

1. Long-term casual and permanent job: In this situation, you can’t be nominated by your casual employer, you must choose your permanent employer. If you’re permanent employer isn’t eligible to claim the payment, you won’t be eligible either.
  2. Fixed-term contract and long-term casual: if you're a fixed term contractor at 1 March and also a long-term casual, you can only choose to nominate through your fixed-term contract employer, not your casual employer. If the fixed-term contract is renewed before 27 September 2020, you will continue to be eligible for JobKeeper Payment under that employer. If you fixed-term contract isn’t renewed before 27 September 2020, you will likely cease being eligible for the JobKeeper Payment.
  3. Two long-term casual jobs or two permanent jobs: If you receive nominations from both employers, you can choose the one you want to get the payment from.

Let me know if you have any other questions,
EmilyW

4 REPLIES 4

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 3

Hi @Shell99,

Great question! I'm hoping our JobKeeper knowledge base article answers it for you.

What if I have multiple jobs?

You can only receive the payment from one employer. Here are some different scenarios:

1. Long-term casual and permanent job: In this situation, you can’t be nominated by your casual employer, you must choose your permanent employer. If you’re permanent employer isn’t eligible to claim the payment, you won’t be eligible either.
  2. Fixed-term contract and long-term casual: if you're a fixed term contractor at 1 March and also a long-term casual, you can only choose to nominate through your fixed-term contract employer, not your casual employer. If the fixed-term contract is renewed before 27 September 2020, you will continue to be eligible for JobKeeper Payment under that employer. If you fixed-term contract isn’t renewed before 27 September 2020, you will likely cease being eligible for the JobKeeper Payment.
  3. Two long-term casual jobs or two permanent jobs: If you receive nominations from both employers, you can choose the one you want to get the payment from.

Let me know if you have any other questions,
EmilyW

Replies 0

Thanks Emily,

But that is the case of a fixed term contract, but what if it’s a temporary job? Like if a covid call centre needed additional assistance for this time period? Will I still be able to receive jobkeeper with my long term casual if I take that job?

Is temporary equivalent to casual?

Replies 1

Thanks Emily,

But that is the case of a fixed term contract, but what if it’s a temporary job? Like if a covid call centre needed additional assistance for this time period? Will I still be able to receive jobkeeper with my long term casual if I take that job?

Is temporary equivalent to casual?

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi @Shell99

Thanks for getting back to us and for your patience.

A temporary job is like a fixed-term contract. They are both positions that have an end date. A temporary job may not have a defined end date, but the fact that it is temporary means that it will come to an end at some point.

If you start the temporary job after 1 March 2020, your casual employer can still claim the JobKeeper Payment for you if you meet all the eligible employee requirements and they meet all the eligible employer requirements as outlined on our website.

Good luck with everything.

Thanks, ChrisR