Announcements
We’re in read-only mode while we do some scheduled maintenance to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You can still search the site to find answers or take a look at our current top 10 questions.

ATO Community

Re: Low income sole trader

Views 793

Replies 2

Hello!

ive been working for myself as a beauty therapist which has now obviously gone out the door. My question is I don't pay gst as I have a low turnover. I do my tax return every year and I take eftpos payments I just don't make a lot of money which suits me fine as I have a toddler. Will I still be eligible for jobkeeper if I can't provide a bas/gst report and only my sales reports from each month off the squareup.com site?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Kroscta 

You do not need to be registered for GST to calculate your eligibility for JobKeeper.

It states in this page below, under the heading "How to calculate a fall in turnover ...":

"The turnover calculation is based on GST turnover. This applies even if an entity is not registered for GST"

https://www.ato.gov.au/general/jobkeeper-payment/employers/eligible-employers/?anchor=Howtodetermine...

In your case the sales reports that your software generates would suffice

I hope that clarifies your query

Ray

2 REPLIES 2

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Kroscta 

You do not need to be registered for GST to calculate your eligibility for JobKeeper.

It states in this page below, under the heading "How to calculate a fall in turnover ...":

"The turnover calculation is based on GST turnover. This applies even if an entity is not registered for GST"

https://www.ato.gov.au/general/jobkeeper-payment/employers/eligible-employers/?anchor=Howtodetermine...

In your case the sales reports that your software generates would suffice

I hope that clarifies your query

Ray

Devotee

Replies 0

Also, they don't explain it very well, but when they say "GST income" they mean the income you have to fill in on the GST form if you paid GST, which is basically all income (whether or not you charged GST on that income). So it is Gross income (do not deduct your expenses or tax paid). If you use Xero, they have an automatic calculator which is great and will tell you in one click if you qualify.