Announcements
We’re in read-only mode while we do some scheduled maintenance to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You can still search the site to find answers or take a look at our current top 10 questions.

ATO Community

Maternity leave

Views 202

Replies 1

Hi I have worked casually for 3 years. I received jobkeeper for 1 year and worked 20 hours max over the year. Now jobkeeper has finished I have been getting about 1 shift (7.5 hours) a week. 

I know when I had my first child in 2016, I needed to work about 10 hours a week during my pregnancy to be eligible for government funded maternity leave. 

Would I need to work a certain amount of hours to receive government funded maternity leave this time round.

Because of receiving jobkeepers I don't know what my obligations are to ensure I 

receive maternity leave.  I'm 1 month pregnant. 

How much work do I need to do on a weekly basis to receive maternity leave.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Laurawestyward

Services Australia will be your best bet to find information on this. Their website has a section for parental leave pay that goes into detail. They also list out the work requirements for eligibility. Currently, it states: 

To get Parental Leave Pay you need to have worked for both:

• 10 of the 13 months before the birth or adoption of your child
  • a minimum of 330 hours, around 1 day a week, in that 10 month period.

The criteria may have changed slightly since you last received this payment so hopefully this helps answer that for you. The above quote is just part of the criteria so have a read through their website for further information. 

Let us know if you have any further questions. We'll do our best to help, however as I mentioned, Services Australia would be able to give you a more accurate reponse. 

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Laurawestyward

Services Australia will be your best bet to find information on this. Their website has a section for parental leave pay that goes into detail. They also list out the work requirements for eligibility. Currently, it states: 

To get Parental Leave Pay you need to have worked for both:

• 10 of the 13 months before the birth or adoption of your child
  • a minimum of 330 hours, around 1 day a week, in that 10 month period.

The criteria may have changed slightly since you last received this payment so hopefully this helps answer that for you. The above quote is just part of the criteria so have a read through their website for further information. 

Let us know if you have any further questions. We'll do our best to help, however as I mentioned, Services Australia would be able to give you a more accurate reponse.