Announcements
Curious about the JobMaker Hiring Credit? Have a read about who is eligible and how to register.

ATO Community

My employer didn't deduct my taxes from my gross pay

Views 451

Replies 2

Hi,

Here's the issue:
I'm on a working holiday Visa(417). I recently noticed that my employer didn't deduct my taxes(PAYG) but paid me the full gross pay.

Questions:
- Would it trouble me?
- Do I have to pay the taxes instead? If so, how?

Please tell me how to fix this. I'm worried so much.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @HYESUNGGU ,

@Zak-Kanafani is correct, the employer needs to withhold tax from your pay in the $1,500 payment (see Working holiday makers for tax rates etc..). As per paying your eligible employees, the Jobkeeper payments to employees are before tax (gross).

As @Zak-Kanafani suggests, please take this up with your employer (or your company's payroll area) to get this changed as soon as you can.

Thanks,

2 REPLIES 2

Initiate

Replies 0

Hello, the first think to do is to find the amount of taxes you are required to pay for that period, you can do this by filling the Tax withheld calculator. Then I would get in contact with your employer and advise that you didn't have any taxes withheld and provide them with your calculation, as they can amend this in your next pay period. 

if for whatever reason they do not withhold the taxes for you, you can use the calculation for the same tax withheld calculator and just keep the money aside yourself as you will need to pay it when you submit your tax return in tax time.

You should need need to worry about this step as they should be withholding taxes for you. It may have just been a mistake, definitely speak with your employer first.

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @HYESUNGGU ,

@Zak-Kanafani is correct, the employer needs to withhold tax from your pay in the $1,500 payment (see Working holiday makers for tax rates etc..). As per paying your eligible employees, the Jobkeeper payments to employees are before tax (gross).

As @Zak-Kanafani suggests, please take this up with your employer (or your company's payroll area) to get this changed as soon as you can.

Thanks,