Announcements
We’re doing scheduled maintenance on ATO Community to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You may see us go into read-only mode over the weekend while we do this. Don’t worry! You’ll still be able to search the site to find your answers.

ATO Community

My employer has decided to stop participating in JobKeeper, can I nominate my sole trader business?

Views 436

Replies 1

Hi there,

I am a casual employee (on the books for over 3 years) and also run my own business as a sole trader. Both my casual work as well as my business were impacted from Covid-19 and eligible for JobKeeper based on the 30% turnover test. My employer sent a communication advising they would be applying for JobKeeper and for me to fill out the nomination form if I wanted to participate. I went ahead with this, with the understanding that after qualifiying, the payments would then come through for 6 months in line with the program.

I received two JobKeeper payments in May, and then my employer sent an email to all staff advising that they decided not to continue participating in JobKeeper and I have not received any payments since.

I am eligible for JobKeeper under my sole trader business, however my application was rejected due to me previously nominating my employer.

Given that my employer has chosen not to participate, am I able to remove that nomination and apply it under my sole trader business? Is it right that my employer can stop participating and then not pass on the payments to staff?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @JamesMc

The current criteria as an eligible business participant is still the same where you wouldn't be eligible because you have previously given another entity, or us, a JobKeeper nomination notice.

Keep an eye on our website for any updates to the criteria in case it changes with the JobKeeper extension that still needs to become law.

Unfortunately JobKeeper is a choice for your employer who can choose to no longer participate.

Thanks, Ari

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @JamesMc

The current criteria as an eligible business participant is still the same where you wouldn't be eligible because you have previously given another entity, or us, a JobKeeper nomination notice.

Keep an eye on our website for any updates to the criteria in case it changes with the JobKeeper extension that still needs to become law.

Unfortunately JobKeeper is a choice for your employer who can choose to no longer participate.

Thanks, Ari