Announcements
Read our answers to common questions about JobKeeper, Early release of super and Cash flow boost.

ATO Community

NEIS sole trader

Highlighted

Views 649

Replies 9

I am on the NEIS government program for new business and run a sole trader business. As its new I’ve only made two sales but COVID has halted further sales. Am I entitled to Jobseeker or Jobkeeper payments? And will I still receive NEIS support payment or have to give up this and the program? If possible I want to keep my business and still work on it vs applying for jobs.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hi @Mel2020 we've added some more ifnormation on this topic over on this thread: On NEIS and JobKeeper 

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 7

Hi @Mel2020,

Thank you for your question, we know there is a lot of information around at the moment and we understand it can be confusing.

Please note that JobKeeper legislation is still being discussed in Parliament. As soon as the legislation passes, we will be able to provide further information.

The information at present is that self-employed individuals who as at 1 March 2020 can register their interest for JobKeeper Payments. To register your interest for the payment and receive updates, please visit the JobKeeper payment page on our website. You do not need to phone us we will contact you by sms or email.

The treasury website contains additional information, factsheets and a FAQ section which provide more information.

You would need to contact the Department of Education, Skills and Employment in regards to the NEIS program.

I hope this helps, SueO

Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 0

@Mel2020  great question I was just searching for the same answer? no one from NEIS really has any answers and it seems that NEIS has been forgotten in many categrories of support.  I was advised to go back on JOB SEEKER which is going to help with the supplement but i would like other options to continue with NEIS try and grow my business.. id love any information that might help us make a clearer decision 

Highlighted

I'm new

Replies 5

Hi @SueATO,

Part of the original query was not covered in your response, perhaps you could elaborate further:

If in some particular case a NEIS payment recipient is also now eligible for JobKeeper (perhaps in addition to their NEIS business they have other work that qualifies them for JobKeeper), assuming the person can keep up with the activities to remain eligibile for both payments can they receive both the NEIS payment and JobKeeper payments?  

Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 1

@ATO 

@be-forthright 

@SueATO 

@Mel2020 

@just-checking 

has anyone seem a sensible reply to this simple question? can NEIS participanrs stay on the NEIS payment scheme and apply for JOB KEEPER as sole traders? 

Highlighted

Replies 0

I was told (not by ato) that we have to either a) stay on neis and nothing changes including payments b) cancel neis and go on jobseeker (not jobkeeper) and can earn ~$1000 a fortnight with business or c) go on jobkeeper only if u did BAS before the march date and can prove the loss of income (which pretty much no one on neis can because all new businesses and not at level of BAS payments yet). So basically, chat to your provider and they will likely tell you to cancel neis and go on jobseeker. Not an ideal situation but thats all I have been able to find out. Hope that helps.
Highlighted

Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @Mel2020 and @just-checking

Thanks for your posts.

We're just letting you know that as there are a few of you who would like more information about this, we are looking into it.

Once we have an answer we will be updating the following thread so we suggest that you keep an eye on it: On NEIS and JobKeeper

All the best.

Thanks, ChrisR

Highlighted

Replies 0

My opinion. Whilst we await offical guidance.

Those on JS are eligible to receive JK, their payment from JK is reported to Centrelink (as it must be) and it will in almost every case reduce JS to Nil. 

IMO, pending offical guidance, the same principal applies with NEIS except under NEIS income to the business/sole trader does not reduce the NEIS payment.

l'm not aware of legislation or guidance indicating otherwise. 

Highlighted

Replies 0

My guess is that the majority of NEIS businesses would have experienced the 30% drop in T/O due to the Covid 19 restrictions and resultant economic downturn. 

@just-checking wrote:

Hi @SueATO,

Part of the original query was not covered in your response, perhaps you could elaborate further:

If in some particular case a NEIS payment recipient is also now eligible for JobKeeper (perhaps in addition to their NEIS business they have other work that qualifies them for JobKeeper), assuming the person can keep up with the activities to remain eligibile for both payments can they receive both the NEIS payment and JobKeeper payments?  

Highlighted

Best answer

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hi @Mel2020 we've added some more ifnormation on this topic over on this thread: On NEIS and JobKeeper