Announcements
We understand 2020 has been difficult and we're here to try and make it easier during tax time. Search posts, read articles or ask a question.

ATO Community

Need an ATO response on 17 yo turning 18 shortly

Highlighted

Views 440

Replies 8

We have a few employees who were already paid on the Jobkeeper but now don't qualify however they are turning 18 in the next month, do they then qualify or do they have to be 18 on the 1st March - A simple questions that thousands of australians would like to know today

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 4

05/05- post edited by moderator to include more up to date information on eligiblity for 16 and 17 year olds

Good afternoon @KenMarsh 

Based on the information on our website the casual employees will be eligible to receive the JobKeeper payment if they meet the criteria requirements.

If the employer is claiming for the JobKeeper payment for an eligible employee, the individual needs to have been at least 16 years old and either of the following on 1 March 2020:

• 'independent' within the meaning of the Social Security Act 1991
  • not a 'full time student' within the meaning of the Social Security Act 1991

The individual will only be an eligible employee if they are ‘independent’ OR not a ‘full time student’.

Thank you,

AngelaG

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 4

05/05- post edited by moderator to include more up to date information on eligiblity for 16 and 17 year olds

Good afternoon @KenMarsh 

Based on the information on our website the casual employees will be eligible to receive the JobKeeper payment if they meet the criteria requirements.

If the employer is claiming for the JobKeeper payment for an eligible employee, the individual needs to have been at least 16 years old and either of the following on 1 March 2020:

• 'independent' within the meaning of the Social Security Act 1991
  • not a 'full time student' within the meaning of the Social Security Act 1991

The individual will only be an eligible employee if they are ‘independent’ OR not a ‘full time student’.

Thank you,

AngelaG

Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 0

HI Angela

Thinking this info is out of date as of a few days ago? We are hoping to have the same question answered if you could revisit KenMarsh's question and check the updated information please.

Cheers, Anthony

Highlighted

Replies 2

Question still not answered - a 16 or 17 now do not qualify if they are living at home - is the ruling that the cut off date is 1st March which means if they turn 18 today they still do not qualify - very simple question

Highlighted

Community Support

Replies 1

Morning @KenMarsh and @Ant5 

Update to JobKeeper rules

To ensure the integrity and the efficient operation of the JobKeeper Payment scheme, the Government is clarifying the operation of some rules:

• employees employed through a special purpose entity, rather than an operating entity
  • charities and the treatment of government revenue
  • religious practitioners
  • 'one in all in’ principles
  • full time students aged 16 and 17 years old
  • international aid organisations, and
  • universities.

We are developing information and guidance and will update our website as soon as possible. For more information, see the media releaseExternal Link issued by the Treasurer, the Hon Josh Frydenberg MP, on 24 April 2020.

Thank you

AngelaG

Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 0

I am in the same situation... 

STAFF MEMEBER "A" is 17yo - year 12 student living at home with parents... wont be 18 until October.  Has been paid $1500 per fortnight for the firt two fortnights of the JobKeeper scheme, but as I understand it is no longer eligible to receive these payment going forward.

STAFF MEMBER "B" is a 17yo - part-time Uni statdent living at home with parents but paying some rent?!... turns 18 in May. Has been paid $1500 per fortnight for the firt two fortnights of the JobKeeper scheme.

- Do I keep paying the JobKeeper $1500 per fortnight?

- Do we stop payments for now and resume them when she turns 18 in a few weeks?

- or is she no longer eligible for future payemnts?

*sigh* 

So confusing for Small Business owners - and risky asking us to front these payments. Before I redraw further on my personal home loan in order to fund this scheme, I'd like some assurance that I'm doing the right thing and will receive reimbursement for these payments made to staff considered eligible at the time!  Spent an hour on the phone this morning with the ATO with no firm answer to this question - was directed to call the Treasury and have been unable to get a human on the phone there.   Smiley Sad 

Highlighted

Community Manager

Replies 2

Hi all,

I have updated Angela's post with some cleared technical advice we have received about this.

Thanks, NateH

Highlighted

Enthusiast

Replies 1

This still does not answer the question about someone who TURNS 18. Do they become eligible again

Highlighted

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Dkbignall,

The eligibility guidelines state that you must be aged 18 years or older as at 1 March 2020 (if you were 16 or 17 you can also qualify for fortnights before 11 May 2020, and continue to qualify after that if you are independent or not undertaking full time study).

Therefore your age is relevant as of 1 March 2020:

• if you were 16 or 17 on this date you can only qualify for fortnights after 11 May 2020 if you are independent or not undertaking full time study.

I hope this clarifies the situation for you.