Announcements
We understand 2020 has been difficult and we're here to try and make it easier during tax time. Search posts, read articles or ask a question.

ATO Community

Partnerships and Jobkeeper

Highlighted

Enthusiast

Views 287

Replies 3

Hi ATO

I've been reading through all the posts and see that if a business is run under a partnership then only one partner is entitled to Jobkeeper.  Can you tell me please who we can lobby to change this eligibility rule.  My husband and I run an event management business and our income has dropped 100% in the last 4 weeks.  We would work equally 60 hours a week in the business and the Government is saying that one of us is better than the other.  We pay taxes equally.  All we're asking is to be treated the same as an employee.  

We have cancelled insurance, deferred loan repayments but we still have overheads like essential insurance, IT infrastructure that need to be covered.  The $1500 JobKeeper will only cover our personal household expenses and not the business ones.  We have a turnover under $75k and no employees (we take drawings, not wages) so I don't see any cash flow grants that we qualify for, but they say just wait and if you're eligible the money will be in your account.  We need to know if we qualify, not just wait.  

I'd say there are many Mum and Dad partnerships in the same position.  The Government seems to be worrying about employees and big business and have overlooked the smaller family entity.  I would appreciate any advice anyone can give, because at the moment, we're looking at losing everything we've worked so hard to achieve.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Devotee

Replies 0

The rules have been made by the Federal Treasurer, so he might be the person to speak to.  You might not get to speak to him directly but you can send a message to, or phone, his office.

Outside of this, the person who misses out on Job Keeper may be eligible for Job Seeker or other support from Centrelink.

Good Luck.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Best answer

Devotee

Replies 0

The rules have been made by the Federal Treasurer, so he might be the person to speak to.  You might not get to speak to him directly but you can send a message to, or phone, his office.

Outside of this, the person who misses out on Job Keeper may be eligible for Job Seeker or other support from Centrelink.

Good Luck.

Highlighted

Replies 1

The ruling is a disgrace , I cant understand why the media isnt all over this.

Highlighted

Enthusiast

Replies 0

Thanks for the response Kerri... I thought I was the only one that felt disrespected by this ruling.  

I will try and contact the Treasurer's office.