Announcements
We’re in read-only mode while we do some scheduled maintenance to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You can still search the site to find answers or take a look at our current top 10 questions.

ATO Community

Re JobKeeper- Does the Employee have to Physically WORK to get JobKeeper

Initiate

Views 12117

Replies 15

Does the Employee have to physically work to get the jobkeeper? I am already seeing complaints of unfairness amongst employees in same workplaces where one employee may do say 10 hours of work a week and get the 1500.00 jobkeeper, whilst another employee stays at home and does nothing and still gets the same- How is this being addressed please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 8

If an employee receives Job Keeper, there is no minimum number of hours they need to work.

The number of hours worked is by agreement between the employer and employee, subject to this being in compliance with Fair Work laws.

One reason why there is no minimum hours requirement is that some businesses have been forced to by the Government to close.  In this case there is no work for employees to do.

15 REPLIES 15

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 8

If an employee receives Job Keeper, there is no minimum number of hours they need to work.

The number of hours worked is by agreement between the employer and employee, subject to this being in compliance with Fair Work laws.

One reason why there is no minimum hours requirement is that some businesses have been forced to by the Government to close.  In this case there is no work for employees to do.

Replies 3

Does this answer my question of “can your employer ask you to come
Into your workplace that was a forced closure” aquatic facility.... they want us to do gardening or cleaning or reception work for the jobkeeper $$

Community Manager

Replies 2

Hi @Hunter34,

This is something you will need to check with Fair Work about as this is tax forum. Fair Work have released information about changes to workplace laws due to Coronavirus, you may want to have a look at that.

Thanks, NateH

Replies 1

Good Evening
I'm a little bit confused on Jobkeeper, my employer apply us on Jobkeeper, majority of us working 38 hours a week, even nothing to do at work, but on other departments only working 3 days a week, why we not the same on other departments but we are one company, thank you.

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hi @Baesa,

That's probably something you'll need to discuss with your employer.

Initiate

Replies 0

The company is open, but employee refuses to go to work while receiving $1500 per fortnight? 

Does this employee has this right by law?

I'm new

Replies 2

What happens if there is work for them but they still dont want to come but want to be paid the jobKeeper?

Community Moderator

Replies 1

Hi @RoJo, @NHP, @frankman, @Angela4176 and @NW14

Thanks for joining the conversation.

It is important to keep in mind that while we (the ATO) administer the JobKeeper Payment, we don't administer Australia's workplace laws. Fair Work is responsible for that hence why we provided some information from their website.

We suggest that you have a look at the JobKeeper changes to the Fair Work Act page on their website. If you can't find the answer to your question, you may need to get in touch with them.

Good luck with it all.

Thanks, ChrisR

Replies 0

Hi @ChrisATO,  The problem we are having I think is that when we contact Fairwork with this question we are being redirected to the ATO for the answers.  Fairwork has been great with the advice regarding workplace laws but the problem is, if an employee refuses to come to work and we still pay them the full $1500 then they will continue to refuse and we will not be able to run our businesses correctly.  The question that Fairwork is redirecting us to the ATO to answer is how do we manage the Job Keeper payment side of the employment?  Do we still pay our employee the full jobkeeper allowance even if they refuse to come to work or do we pay them nothing and cancel their job keeper registration?  Fairwork is not able to answer this question.