Announcements
Read our answers to common questions about JobKeeper, Early release of super and Cash flow boost.

ATO Community

Reasons a TFN would be cancelled

Highlighted

Views 251

Replies 3

I'm trying to assist my father who I haven't seen in many many years but has reached out in recent times due to current Covid-19 circumstances. 

He's told me his Tax File Number is invalid/cancelled but is unable to tell me why (english is also his second language and he's not computer literate). 

I'm obviously not seeking for an answer specific to his case but was wondering what the reasons are that a TFN may have been cancelled?

My understanding is his ABN has also been cancelled so was wondering if it was due to the fact that he may not have submitted income tax statements in previous years and as a result was identified in the ABR as being inactive?? - I noticed that the ATO had been cleaning up inactive ABNs over the past few years and thought this may be the reason why? 

What would be the best process for him to undertake to work out why its been cancelled and how we can resolve it? Or is it a case of reactivating his ABN which then would assist with the TFN issue?? I'm really not sure...

I note that the ATO help lines are quite busy at present and given i'm in different states at the moment I can't assist him in person. Do you think there would be any issue if he and I did a teleconference call with the ATO help line so I can help him navigate and understand the process required to resolve this? 

Any insights that can be provided on this will be gratefully received!!! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Manager

Replies 2

Hi @ Poppy3trees,

Thanks for getting in touch.

We do cancel ABN's but not TFN's. Maybe has an incorrect number.

It may be difficult for him to contact us to locate his TFN.

The interpreter service would be able to help.

KylieS

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Manager

Replies 2

Hi @ Poppy3trees,

Thanks for getting in touch.

We do cancel ABN's but not TFN's. Maybe has an incorrect number.

It may be difficult for him to contact us to locate his TFN.

The interpreter service would be able to help.

KylieS

Highlighted

Replies 1

Hi Kylie,

Thanks for clarifying this with me- it’s great help!

When he calls, what information/form of proof of identity would he need to confirm with ATO who he is so they can provide him with his TFN?

I ask as he had all his personal papers lost/stolen a couple of years back which included his proof of Australian citizenship. Will this be needed to confirm with the tax office his TFN? Or would things such as photo ID be sufficient??

We are currently in the process of sorting out and getting a new certificate of citizenship though it may take a month or more to source the required documents for this process so if that isn’t needed for proof of ID with the tax office to find his TFN then it would be good to know so we can do both activities in parallel.

Many thanks!! 😊
Highlighted

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Poppy3trees

Thanks for your reply.

Your father may not need to have his citizenship certificate with him when he calls. When we establish his identity, we will ask him some questions. The answers to those questions will determine whether we need to confirm the details of any identity documents. If we do need to, his driver's licence may be sufficient.

For more information about establishing your identity when you speak to a customer service representative, have a look at our website.

If he is unable to establish his identity over the phone without his citizenship certificate and is unable to obtain his TFN any other way, he will have to wait until he gets his new certificate before calling again.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, ChrisR