ATO Community

Receiving both Jobseeker and Jobkeeper payment

Views 331

Replies 1

I have a small retail business in a country town. Turnover was on a downward spiral through the drought and then the bushfires hit the area.

I registered for Jobseeker and Jobkeeper when they were announced in March. I closed my shop for the last week in March and the whole of April due to an existing respitory problem.

I received 4 weeks jobseeker payment in mid May which I put towards household bills and bank loan payments.

I received 4 weeks jobkeeper payment at the end of May which paid 2 months rent owing on the shop.

My shop is open again but is running at a loss due to the depressed market.

Can I still claim both payments if my income including Jobkeeper is less than the amount when Jobseeker runs out ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @ozziekev,

Sorry to hear what a rough time you’ve had over the last few months with both your business and your health.

Unfortunately the quick answer to this question is no – most people cannot claim both payments. That said – you really need to seek advice specific to your own circumstances from Services Australia to help you make a decision on which payment you would like to continue receiving, and that advice is not something that can be provided via ATO Community. 

As you will see on both the ATO and Services Australia website pages on how the JobKeeper payment affects income support payments and getting JobKeeper payment, you should try to resolve this as soon as you can as there can be significant issues around eligibility for one or both payments, along with the need to report all income to both departments, and the possibility of incurring debts you will need to repay.

AlBar

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @ozziekev,

Sorry to hear what a rough time you’ve had over the last few months with both your business and your health.

Unfortunately the quick answer to this question is no – most people cannot claim both payments. That said – you really need to seek advice specific to your own circumstances from Services Australia to help you make a decision on which payment you would like to continue receiving, and that advice is not something that can be provided via ATO Community. 

As you will see on both the ATO and Services Australia website pages on how the JobKeeper payment affects income support payments and getting JobKeeper payment, you should try to resolve this as soon as you can as there can be significant issues around eligibility for one or both payments, along with the need to report all income to both departments, and the possibility of incurring debts you will need to repay.

AlBar