Announcements
We understand 2020 has been difficult and we're here to try and make it easier during tax time. Search posts, read articles or ask a question.

ATO Community

Re: Recieved 1st payment of JobKeeper, However....

Highlighted

Initiate

Views 227

Replies 4

Hi there,
I recieved my first payment of Jobkeeper as a sole trader a couple weeks ago.
However, work is busier than expected and my month's prediction doesn't seem like it will be accurate.
So not sure what to do as things seem very unpredicatable.

In saying that, I have lost 2 other forms on income through casual employment in the events industry that don't seem they will kick back in again till September.
I have letters from both these companies outlining this,
I could have recieved jobkeeper through either one of these but had already started my own application at the time and couldn't get through the times I tried to cancel my application so decided to ride the storm.

Where at the ATO could I send these letters from the casual employers to prove my case? Trying to be honest here through these unpredicable times!

Also, When applying for sole trader jobkeeper, I included my abn/sole trader income only, not my work I may have recieved through casual employment. not sure where I stand on this one.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Initiate

Replies 2

I'm aware of that, my problem is my soletrader work is not a disastrous as expected, I'm reporting monthly but will most likely go over my predicted 30% downturn. However my casual work is all gone, completely!
As said in the initial comment I tried to get out of my soletrader jobkeeper (this was suggested by the ATO) then I could have received jobkeeper through a casual emoloyee. I couldn't get through and the deadlines were gone, so I was stuck with my own application through ABN work. I'm also looking for where I could possibly send the correspondence to prove my case as I've lost 2 sources of income not included under my ABN work. I have letters from all the casual employers stating the no work situation.
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Dynamo

Replies 3

You can't claim for sole trader and casual work combined. You have to do one or the other.
Highlighted

Best answer

Initiate

Replies 2

I'm aware of that, my problem is my soletrader work is not a disastrous as expected, I'm reporting monthly but will most likely go over my predicted 30% downturn. However my casual work is all gone, completely!
As said in the initial comment I tried to get out of my soletrader jobkeeper (this was suggested by the ATO) then I could have received jobkeeper through a casual emoloyee. I couldn't get through and the deadlines were gone, so I was stuck with my own application through ABN work. I'm also looking for where I could possibly send the correspondence to prove my case as I've lost 2 sources of income not included under my ABN work. I have letters from all the casual employers stating the no work situation.
Highlighted

Community Support

Replies 1

Good morning @pm2 

Thanks for contacting us and apologies for the delay in responding to you.

You can only receive JobKeeper payments from one source once you have applied.

As you are claiming the JobKeeper payments as a Sole Trader, you will not be able to claim JobKeeper payments from your casual jobs. The income you earn previously in your casual employment will not be included as business income as part of the turnover test for the JobKeeper payments you receive as a Sole trader.

The turnover test for the JobKeeper payments is only applicable to the income from your business and does not include any additional casual income received.

All the best.

AngelaG

Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 0

Thanks for your reply,
I'll think I try and get through to the ATO again and see what they suggest