Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Watch the video in our latest news article.

ATO Community

Reduced Work Hours COVID-19

Highlighted

Views 1014

Replies 4

Hello,

Can I please ask what happens to an employee’s wage if they are eligible for the Job keeper payments however, the work they are receiving is inconsistent due to COVID-19.

For example;
Normal working hours are 5 days a week but due to no work some days because of COVID-19 employer informs employee to only come to work for 3 days a week or perhaps zero days one week.

Is the employee still entitled to their minimum Job keeper payment of $1500 and any days worked in that fortnight are added on top of the Job keeper wage?

Or

Do they just receive the job keeper wage of $1500 regardless of the days worked during that fortnight?

Any clarification you could provide would be most appreciated. I understand these are unprecedented times and I realise that the laws regarding my question may still be in discussion and that’s no problems at all.

Thank you,
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Support

Replies 3

Hi @JessicaT,

Regardless of hours, if you are deemed eligible for the JobKeeper payment, your employer must pay you at minimum $1500 a fortnight (before tax).

For example if an employee:

• ordinarily receives $1,500 or more in income per fortnight before PAYG withholding and other salary sacrificed amounts, and their employment arrangements do not change they will continue to receive their regular income according to their workplace arrangements. The JobKeeper payment will assist the employer to continue operating by subsidising all or part of the income of the employee

I hope this was able to clarify a few things for you.

Thanks,

GK18

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Support

Replies 3

Hi @JessicaT,

Regardless of hours, if you are deemed eligible for the JobKeeper payment, your employer must pay you at minimum $1500 a fortnight (before tax).

For example if an employee:

• ordinarily receives $1,500 or more in income per fortnight before PAYG withholding and other salary sacrificed amounts, and their employment arrangements do not change they will continue to receive their regular income according to their workplace arrangements. The JobKeeper payment will assist the employer to continue operating by subsidising all or part of the income of the employee

I hope this was able to clarify a few things for you.

Thanks,

GK18

Highlighted

Replies 2

Thank you for your reply GK18 I appreciate it.

I guess I just need to clarify something (if you can help). So, any days worked gets added onto the $1500? So if an employee works 5 days a fortnight those 5 days pay will be on top of $1500?

Sorry if my question is confusing!

Thank you,
Highlighted

Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @JessicaT,

The $1500 is provided to employers to subsidise their wage costs. This payment includes what you would regularly recieve for work (therefore this amount is not added to any days worked, your pay for days worked are included in this payment). If you work less than a $1500 fortnight, you will still recieve $1500. Whether or not your employer pays over this amount is at their discretion.

However, JobKeeper does not allow employers to pay less than their requirements as per the award/agreement. For example if you were working more hours than a $1500 fornight and your employer was only paying you $1500, you could take this issue to Fair Work.

Hope this clarified your question,

GK18

Highlighted

Replies 0

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question. I really appreciate your help!