Announcements
Have a question about JobKeeper? Things are a little different this month so we’ve put together a summary of what businesses need to know.

ATO Community

Re: Redundancy on parttime job - can I switch to soletrader JK?

Views 324

Replies 6

Hello,
I have been receiving JobKeeper through my parttime job, which is now doing a restructure due to the climate and making some of us (understandably) redundant.

This means that at the beginning of October I'll no longer be receiving JobKeeper through my employer.

I also work as a soletrader (more than 20 hrs a week). Will I be able to receive JobKeeper through my ABN & if so, when should I apply for it?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 0

No, the only time you can change your JobKeeper employer (or business participant) is where you have been let go by your employer between 1 March and 1 July.

6 REPLIES 6

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 0

No, the only time you can change your JobKeeper employer (or business participant) is where you have been let go by your employer between 1 March and 1 July.

Community Support

Replies 4

Hi @ParttimevsABN,

Sorry to hear of the unfortunate situation your about to go through at the moment but hopefully I have some good news for you that you may be eligible AFTER you are made redundant.

As JobKeeper is self-assessed you will need to determine you meet the following 3 criteria requirements:

The first criteria to view is to 'Work out if you are an eligible entity' which also contains a 'fall in turnover test'.

If you meet the above criteria's, move on to 'Work out if you are an eligible business participant' where you must satisfy ALL the requirements.
Now with this, there is one point in there that states 'you are not an employee of another business', well with the info you gave, you won’t be an employee anymore after the 1st Oct (approx.) as you mentioned the redundancy.

And then finally if you meet the above 2 criteria’s, you must then ensure you and your business was actively engaged.

Once you have determined all of those, you can then find detailed step-by-step instructions on how to enrol from our JobKeeper Guide page.

If you have any other questions relating to any of the criteria requirements, please dot hesitate to reply Smiley Happy

Replies 3

Hi there, thank you for your reply!
I managed to scramble enough work for a month or two, but am now looking at little to no work for a couple of months.

I have checked my turnover, and while it was up significantly for July-Sep (I received an arts grant), it's down for 4th quarter Oct-Dec by 80%.
I have also received some PAYG work for half a day a week.

I think this means I'm eligible for the Oct - Dec quarter?
Is the proecess a matter of filling out a new JK employee form (as a sole trader) & filling all these numbers out?

Thanks!

Replies 2

I have just spoken to my accountant and she is confident that I can't apply because I was on JobKeeper with another employer and then made redundant. That this makes me ineligible to apply via my ABN.

This is all very confusing!

Devotee

Replies 1

When an individual can re‑nominate with a new employer

(3A)  An individual who does not satisfy the requirement in subparagraph 9(3)(c)(i) is permitted by this subsection to give a nomination notice to an entity (the new entity) if:

(a)  the individual is a 1 March 2020 employee of, or the eligible business participant for, another entity (the old entity); but

(b)  the individual was not employed by the old entity or was not actively engaged in the business carried on by the old entity (as the case requires) at any time from the start of 1 July 2020 to the time of giving the notice to the new entity.

Replies 0

Thanks MCA.
I called the ATO and got them to double check on my case.

I am definitely not legible.

What's heart breaking is he said the rule changed where I could have applied via my ABN initially. Whereas at the time, it wasn't an option and I had to apply via my parttime employer if they offered.