Announcements
Have you sold crypto, shares or property? Our new capital gains tax guide has info about cost bases, calculations & more! Still got questions? Ask the Community!

ATO Community

Re: Research Training Program Scholarship while claiming Job Keeper as sole trader

Views 664

Replies 2

Hi there,

I've just commenced my studies as a full-time postgrad research student with an RTP Stipend of roughly $1350 per fortnight. I understand that this is tax exempt. 

My primary employment is as a self-employed/freelance/sole trader musician, and so have been claiming Job Keeper for the past few months. I'm unsure whether I can continue to claim Job Keeper now that I am about to receive an RTP Stipend.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @meatpies,

Thanks for your question however there are no specific scenarios involving scholarships and JobKeeper currently.

You may or may not be aware that some scholarships are actually taxable, so Id first suggest completing our online 'is my scholarship taxable' tool to determine if yours is or not. Here is also some extra supporting information.

As JobKeeper payments are only affected by your employment, you may still be eligible considering you meet all other sole trader requirements.

It may also be a good idea to have a chat with your scholarship provider in case they have any guideline requirements from their side.

JobKeeper information regularly updates as it becomes available, so be sure to keep up to date with any changes within our News feedsKnowledge Based articles or the Treasury's JobKeeper extension fact sheet.

Good luck with everything, and don't forget your sauce!

P.S. Sausage rolls are better Smiley Wink

2 REPLIES 2

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @meatpies,

Thanks for your question however there are no specific scenarios involving scholarships and JobKeeper currently.

You may or may not be aware that some scholarships are actually taxable, so Id first suggest completing our online 'is my scholarship taxable' tool to determine if yours is or not. Here is also some extra supporting information.

As JobKeeper payments are only affected by your employment, you may still be eligible considering you meet all other sole trader requirements.

It may also be a good idea to have a chat with your scholarship provider in case they have any guideline requirements from their side.

JobKeeper information regularly updates as it becomes available, so be sure to keep up to date with any changes within our News feedsKnowledge Based articles or the Treasury's JobKeeper extension fact sheet.

Good luck with everything, and don't forget your sauce!

P.S. Sausage rolls are better Smiley Wink

Replies 0

Thanks for the information, Cas, and also for expressing your passion for baked goods. Shoutout to lemon tarts too