Announcements
Halloween costumes are spooky but your tax return doesn't have to be. Don't forget to lodge this weekend!

ATO Community

Resignation

Highlighted

I'm new

Views 4577

Replies 7

Hi, 

I have an employee resigned half way through the JobKeeper fortnight application process. Does the business still get reimbursement for the few fortnight payment before the last day of this employee?  

The last day of the employee falls within the fortnight JobKeeper cycle, do I process $750 gross wage for final payrun or I have to process the full jobkeeper fortnight pay in order to get reimburesd for it?

Thanks

SKC

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 6

Hi @StephKC ,

Thanks for contacting our Community.

In this situation you would apply the fortnight test, where they are an employee of a qualifying employer (including if you are stood down or have been re-hired) at any time during the fortnight. You would need to pay them the minimum amount of $1,500 for the fortnight as per the paying your eligible employees  guidelines.

Hope this helps you, SueO

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 6

Hi @StephKC ,

Thanks for contacting our Community.

In this situation you would apply the fortnight test, where they are an employee of a qualifying employer (including if you are stood down or have been re-hired) at any time during the fortnight. You would need to pay them the minimum amount of $1,500 for the fortnight as per the paying your eligible employees  guidelines.

Hope this helps you, SueO

Highlighted

Replies 1

So if my staff member resigns in JK Fortnight number 4 and are paid over $1500 in this process, do we record JOBKEEPER-FINISH- FN04 or FN05.

We are certainly looking to be reimbursed the $1500 for FN04 but not for FN05.

Highlighted

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @FS98,

Thanks for reaching out.

"If you paid the employee their last JobKeeper payment on 13 May 2020 (pay date 13 May 2020), the last payment was made in FN04, meaning the employee is no longer eligible for JobKeeper from FN05."

There is information about employees no longer eligible and what action to take on our website.

I hope this helps.

Highlighted

Replies 3

What happens when an employee resigns and their notice period falls into the next payment fortnight but the business decided to pay them out in the fortnight of resignation. The employee has obviously not worked but the notice period would have taken them into the next pay cycle
Highlighted

Champion

Replies 2

Hi @LCR,

Thank you for contacting us.

Resignation and notice periods while on JobKeeper and workplace entitlements are dealt by the Fair Work Ombudsmen, so that would be your best bet in finding your answer. Smiley Happy

Thank you.

Highlighted

Replies 1

Thank you but fair work will unlikely answer a question to the job keeper payment. All I want to know is if a employer terminates someone's employment and the last day of their employment falls in the next pay cycle if they will have to be paid for the fortnight even if the business pays them out for the remaining days in the previous fortnight. So an example a employee resigns on the Monday in the second fortnightly pay cycle and the last day of employment falls into the next fortnightly pay cycle. If the business advised the employee to finish on the day, and pays them the weeks notice, will they still need to pay the next fortnight as well as by the employers choice the employment would have ended then not on the day of resignation.

Thanks
Highlighted

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @LCR13

Thanks for getting back to us and for your patience.

You are correct to say that Fair Work may not be able to answer the JobKeeper aspect to your question, but they can provide guidance about when your employee is considered terminated. In other words, did their employment end on the day they actually finished or at the end of their notice period?

If Fair Work confirm that their employment ended on the day they finished, they won't meet all the eligible employee requirements in the next fortnight. This is because they weren't employed by you at any time in the next JobKeeper fortnight as per the first requirement outlined on our website.

If it turns out (as per Fair Work advice) that the employee wasn't considered terminated until the end of their notice period, they would need to be paid at least $1,500 in the next JobKeeper fortnight.

We hope this clarifies things for you.