Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Watch the video in our latest news article.

ATO Community

School laptop tax deductible

Views 641

Replies 1

Are laptops brought for school during covid 19 school closure fully tax deductible?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @nayroxy1793 

Unfortunatley, the short answer is no.  Below is a question and answer from our FAQ’s that might be of assistance.

Question: I am a working parent with school-aged children who are learning from home during the COVID-19 crisis. Will I be able to claim a deduction for the costs associated with setting them up for learning?

Answer: No, costs relating to your children’s education are personal expenses and not deductible. Examples of costs include:

• setting them up to do online learning
  • teaching them at home
  • purchasing school supplies or items like desks, iPads, or sporting equipment.

If you are an employee who is working from home, you can only claim a deduction for expenses that are directly related to your work.

I hope this information helps.

MichelleR

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @nayroxy1793 

Unfortunatley, the short answer is no.  Below is a question and answer from our FAQ’s that might be of assistance.

Question: I am a working parent with school-aged children who are learning from home during the COVID-19 crisis. Will I be able to claim a deduction for the costs associated with setting them up for learning?

Answer: No, costs relating to your children’s education are personal expenses and not deductible. Examples of costs include:

• setting them up to do online learning
  • teaching them at home
  • purchasing school supplies or items like desks, iPads, or sporting equipment.

If you are an employee who is working from home, you can only claim a deduction for expenses that are directly related to your work.

I hope this information helps.

MichelleR