Announcements
Have you sold crypto, shares or property? Our new capital gains tax guide has info about cost bases, calculations & more! Still got questions? Ask the Community!

ATO Community

Share holder in a company

Initiate

Views 581

Replies 2

Hi everyone,

I am a shareholder in a company (Pty Ltd).

I’m receiving job keeper as a share holder

Can I work casually for another employer while receiving Jobkeeper as a shareholder?

The information online refers to sole traders being able to work casually for another employer and still receive Jobkeeper as a sole trader. Is this the same for shareholders? Just a little confused if sole traders and shareholders are considered the same.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @Ziz 

As you state you are a shareholder, it sounds like you must be the nominated eligible business participant for your company. As such all business participants must be actively engaged in the business and if you remain actively engaged in the business which is receiving the JobKeeper payment, then yes, you can work casually for another employer. As the business participant, you cannot be an employee (other than a casual employee) of another entity by the way so casual work is fine.

Hope this information helps.

2 REPLIES 2

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @Ziz 

As you state you are a shareholder, it sounds like you must be the nominated eligible business participant for your company. As such all business participants must be actively engaged in the business and if you remain actively engaged in the business which is receiving the JobKeeper payment, then yes, you can work casually for another employer. As the business participant, you cannot be an employee (other than a casual employee) of another entity by the way so casual work is fine.

Hope this information helps.

Initiate

Replies 0

Yes this information is a big help. Appreciate your response. Many thanks 🙏