Announcements
Have you sold crypto, shares or property? Our new capital gains tax guide has info about cost bases, calculations & more! Still got questions? Ask the Community!

ATO Community

Re: Shareholder Jobkeeper

Initiate

Views 987

Replies 6

Hi all,

I am a small business owner and currently receiving Jobkeeper as a shareholder.
Am I able to do casual work elsewhere without affecting my eligibility for job keeper? I just want to make sure that i can receive income from another job and not lose my Jobkeeper.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 5

Yes, you can still get JK, as long as the job you get is only casual. 

The ATO site says: https://www.ato.gov.au/General/JobKeeper-Payment/Sole-traders/#Ifyouarebothasoletraderandemployeeofa...

If you are both a sole trader and employee of another business

• As a sole trader you cannot receive JobKeeper payments if you are also an employee (other than a casual employee) of another entity.
6 REPLIES 6

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 5

Yes, you can still get JK, as long as the job you get is only casual. 

The ATO site says: https://www.ato.gov.au/General/JobKeeper-Payment/Sole-traders/#Ifyouarebothasoletraderandemployeeofa...

If you are both a sole trader and employee of another business

• As a sole trader you cannot receive JobKeeper payments if you are also an employee (other than a casual employee) of another entity.

Initiate

Replies 0

Thanks appreciate your response!

Initiate

Replies 0

Apologies if this is silly question, is shareholder the same as sole trader?

Just to be clear, I am a shareholder in a company.

The link you provided and all the information online refers to sole traders being able to work casually for another company and still be able to get Jobkeeper. Just want to be sure that this is the same for a shareholder of a company.

Initiate

Replies 2

Apologies if this is silly question, is shareholder the same as sole trader?

Just to be clear, I am a shareholder in a company.

The link you provided and all the information online refers to sole traders being able to work casually for another company and still be able to get Jobkeeper. Just want to be sure that this is the same for a shareholder of a company.

Champion

Replies 1

Hi @Ziz,

Thank you for reaching us.

As per the Eligible business participant criteria listed under partnerships, trust and companies web page, it says the participant is not an employee - other than a casual employee of another entity.

Hope this Helps!

Initiate

Replies 0

Yes it definitely does. Thanks so much for your response!